A sad day

Ptychodus04

It’s a sad day. Years ago, I collected a microconch and macroconch of Scaphites so. from the Late Cretaceous Arcadia Park Formation in Dallas, TX that were preserved in pyrite. I’ve collected dozens of pyritized ammonites from this particular site and all have been stable. These ammonites appeared to be stable for about 15 years until one day the pyrite decay started. I noticed it a couple days ago and soaked these specimens in iron out to try to stop the decay.

Alas, my attempts were unsuccessful and both specimens crumbled to powder. :duh2::Horrified::default_faint: 

Beware pyrite, even if you think it’s ok…

• I found this Informative 8

Ah, that stinks.  Sorry to hear it, Kris.  :(  :unsure: :shakehead:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yah, unfortunately I don’t know how long they had been rotting away in the drawer. Can’t be too long as it was only a month or two ago when I was last in the drawer. Pyrite decay is nasty. I’m just glad I found it before the acid affected other specimens.

• I Agree 1

:Cry:

Sorry for your loss Kris! I’ve never collected any pyritized fossils, but I hear pyrite disease is nasty stuff. :( 

• I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Argh! I haven't had it happen yet. I put lots of dissecant packs in with the pyrite specimens. Crossing my fingers.

• I found this Informative 1

I recently found some of my Sheppey pyrite fossils and a lovely Echioceras from Charmouth reduced to dust. Crying.gif.74ddc5636b98536d1fa5addcd1802a66.gif

It's very sad, especially when they're your own finds and have memories from decades ago attached.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yep. These were the only 2 scaphites in my collection and I happened to find the 2 sizes (male/female) only a week apart and in the same general vicinity of each other.

At least they went together in the end.

I have recently reading a bit about pyrite decay. 

Aside from the obvious gold Ammonites

How do you recognise if a fossil contains pyrite ?? 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Thats very sad.

Chemistry wise, pyrite is quite unstable. Did you have them in container of some sort while inside the drawer?

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

15 hours ago, Tidgy&#x27;s Dad said:

I recently found some of my Sheppey pyrite fossils and a lovely Echioceras from Charmouth reduced to dust. Crying.gif.74ddc5636b98536d1fa5addcd1802a66.gif

It's very sad, especially when they're your own finds and have memories from decades ago attached.

I collected some beautiful Charmouth pyrite ammonites that have turned to dust over the years they are more susceptible from that location :Horrified:

John

• I Agree 2

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

I have recently reading a bit about pyrite decay. 

Aside from the obvious gold Ammonites

How do you recognise if a fossil contains pyrite ?? 

Often, pyrite grows on or in different fossils. It will appear gold, silver, or sometimes black on the surface. If broken, it is usually silver. If you have a hard, metallic blob on your fossil, it's probably pyrite.

2 hours ago, North said:

Thats very sad.

Chemistry wise, pyrite is quite unstable. Did you have them in container of some sort while inside the drawer?

They were in an open tray

I didn't know that this happened to pyritized fossils. I had planned to buy a pyritized ammonite soon, but now I'm afraid since where I live there is a lot of humidity.

• I Agree 1

Sorry to hear about the loss of the scaphites and others who lost specimens to pyrite decay.

And what is the method for mitigating pyrite decay? I have some recently purchased Yorkshire Coast ammonites which are not the golden pyrite type but have pyritic layers or areas underneath the shale or limestone.  Would that also be why the matrix is so easily removed when scribing the outer skin of the nodule and about halfway in becomes hard as heck; showing golden scratch marks where the tungsten stylus scrapes along?

Will a somewhat thick coating of consolidant prevent the decay - CA, Paraloid, White glue/water mix coating, floor polish? Anything? Utah is very low humidity but we plan to move back east near the ocean in North Carolina in a few years.

Wait a minute!...I'm old...I may be a decaying fossil myself before the ammonites turn to dust. Lol.:heartylaugh:

Edited by SPrice

On 10/20/2023 at 5:43 PM, SPrice said:

Wait a minute!...I'm old...I may be a decaying fossil myself before the ammonites turn to dust. Lol.:heartylaugh:

Hi Toumaï, how are you ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 10/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, SPrice said:

Will a somewhat thick coating of consolidant prevent the decay - CA, Paraloid,

I am currently exposing fossils from a Silurian location that often have beautiful pyrite crystals attached. Your thoughts mimic mine in that a sealant should prevent the decay. Hopefully a professional opinion of this will be rendered soon!! 

No professional here, but I have heard from others that paraloid B-72 or other sorts of consolidants can seal pyrite thus preventing moisture from reacting with it.  Hopefully someone that has actually tried it can chime in.

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

On 10/17/2023 at 6:28 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

It’s a sad day. Years ago, I collected a microconch and macroconch of Scaphites so. from the Late Cretaceous Arcadia Park Formation in Dallas, TX that were preserved in pyrite. I’ve collected dozens of pyritized ammonites from this particular site and all have been stable. These ammonites appeared to be stable for about 15 years until one day the pyrite decay started. I noticed it a couple days ago and soaked these specimens in iron out to try to stop the decay.

Alas, my attempts were unsuccessful and both specimens crumbled to powder. :duh2::Horrified::default_faint: 

Beware pyrite, even if you think it’s ok…

On 10/17/2023 at 11:07 PM, t-tree said:

I collected some beautiful Charmouth pyrite ammonites that have turned to dust over the years they are more susceptible from that location :Horrified:

John

+1

The survivoring specimens are now packed in a ziplock with desiccant packets

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

On 10/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, Jaybot said:

No professional here, but I have heard from others that paraloid B-72 or other sorts of consolidants can seal pyrite thus preventing moisture from reacting with it.  Hopefully someone that has actually tried it can chime in.

These specimens were sealed with Vinac. Worked for about 15 years.

Edited by Ptychodus04
  • I found this Informative 2

Oof, too bad.  At least now we all know not to use vinac on pyrite.  Sorry for the fossil loss Kris

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne