How to clean algae off dinosaur bones

LookingForRocks

I found this gembone and want to get the algae off. I soaked it in hot water and dish soap, then scrubbed with a toothbrush, but the algae is really stuck on there. Any tips?

dino bone 2.jpg

dino bone.jpg

Moved to Fossil Preparation;)

I would try a bit of hydrogen peroxide on it.

Try a small area first, before coating the whole thing.

If there is calcite, vinegar would be bad, but if no calcite, vinegar might work. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Try 50/50 mixture of household bleach and water. Use eye protection and don’t get on skin or clothes.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hmmmm, maybe I'll try the bleach first, but a weaker solution. I'm nervous about the vinegar since I'm not sure if there's calcite on the bone, and I don't have any hydrogen peroxide on hand. If that doesn't work I'll get some HP and try a test area. Thanks :)