Albertosaurus tooth from the Hell Creek???

Compy

This is a tooth that lets me doubt the label…

It was sold as “Albertosaurus”. Provenance is Hell Creek Formation, Montana.

But to my understanding there is no Albertosaurus in the HCF of Montana or am I wrong?

The serration count is 3 per mm and 2.5 per mm.

Has someone got an idea what it might be?

IMG_1895.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

IMG_1898.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

You will likely need the county or nearest city before a guess can be made.  If it really is HC though then it is not Albertosaurus but Montana does have Albertosaurus from the Two Medicine formation I believe. Without county, unknown at this point.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

*Frank*

Indeed, Albertosaurus is extinct by the time of the HCF.  I am not well versed in IDing these things by serration count, but hopefully someone will come along now that we have lost troodon.  

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Indeed, Albertosaurus is extinct by the time of the HCF.  I am not well versed in IDing these things by serration count, but hopefully someone will come along now that we have lost troodon.  

What do you mean we have lost Troodon?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

13 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Yes. There was a post awhile back that he was leaving the forum

• I Agree 1

All signs point to tyrannosaur, which simplifies things pretty much to provenance. As FB said, must get a county on this, since Montana has too many formations to be sure otherwise.

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, Dino Dad 81 said:

All signs point to tyrannosaur, which simplifies things pretty much to provenance. As FB said, must get a county on this, since Montana has too many formations to be sure otherwise.

Thanks, I’ll reach out to the seller and try to get a more precise location.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Personal reasons.

Cheers!

James

Ok, so I got the information and it’s quite an interesting twist:

After contacting the us-based source the tooth is from the Two Medicine Formation, near Valier, NW Montana.

I hope this helps?

1 hour ago, Compy said:

After contacting the us-based source the tooth is from the Two Medicine Formation, near Valier, NW Montana.

I hope this helps?

You would need a county to verify it is from the Two Medicine Formation. I'd personally steer clear from it since the information seems to be all mixed up, but I'd label it Tyrannosaurid indet. Could be Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus if it is from the Two Med. They are nearly impossible to differentiate.

Edited by Frightmares
  • I Agree 2

On 10/31/2023 at 4:33 AM, Masp said:

That’s a shame, Troodon was such an asset

We are just gonna have to step up our game to fill in the enormous shoes he left behind

1 hour ago, Compy said:

I hope this helps?

Valier sounds correct based on the Two Medicine Formation map as seen here > https://www.researchgate.net/publication/328676947_TYRANNOSAURID_TEETH_FROM_THE_UPPER_CRETACEOUS_CAMPANIAN_TWO_MEDICINE_FORMATION_OF_MONTANA

If you don't wish to label this as tyrannosauridae indet., then you can call it Daspletosaurus/Gorgosaurus sp. instead

Geographic-location-of-the-Two-Medicine-Formation-Montana-A-map-of-Montana-showing-the.png.519111d749617c6691ce92aaa616d0c3.png

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Ind. Tyrannosaurid is likely the best you can get here.  Full tooth might be a little different but as a partial and based on location I think that's all that's known for sure.

• Thank You 1

*Frank*

On 10/30/2023 at 12:13 PM, Darktooth said:

See this topic:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Since the tooth is from a lateral position and has a DSDI of 1.2, it should be labeled Tyrannosauridae indet.

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Since the tooth is from a lateral position and has a DSDI of 1.2, it should be labeled Tyrannosauridae indet.

Yes, I’ll do that, for from what I’ve understood from Troodon’s guides is that one cannot certainly differentiate between Gorgosaurus and Daspletosaurus…

Thank you very much to all of you for your help!

8 minutes ago, Compy said:

from what I’ve understood from Troodon’s guides is that one cannot certainly differentiate between Gorgosaurus and Daspletosaurus…

There are exceptions, but only about 10% of teeth can be identified confidently. You need a lateral tooth with a DSDI <0.8 for Gorgosaueus or a mesial tooth with a >1.2 DSDI for Daspletosaurus.

For example, this tooth from the Judith River Formation I have below is from a lateral position and has a DSDI less than 0.8, meaning it is most likely Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurinae 

IMG_5806.thumb.jpeg.7e063ec667566346d6fb8bd3e6201552.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2