Your thoughts about iconic fossils.

North

Just for fun thoughts.

What fossils you would consider to be iconic fossils?

Something that should belong in every collection? Some gems from everyones wishlist? One that picture should be in dictionary? Museum piece that you would specificly go to look or something that first pops to your mind when you think about fossils?

Edited by North

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

One of my dreams, ever since I was a kid, was to make it to the Royal Tyrrell Museum Dinosaur Hall.  Now that they have that excellent nodosaur, I have even more reason to go!

• Enjoyed 2

2 hours ago, North said:

1. What fossils you would consider to be iconic fossils?

2. Something that should belong in every collection? 3. Some gems from everyones wishlist? 4. One that picture should be in dictionary? 5. Museum piece that you would specificly go to look or something that first pops to your mind when you think about fossils?

1. Everything big, fast, strong, first appear to be iconic to the public. Is there any invertebrate or plant in this group? I think not. For science, iconic fossils are different: First cell, first multicell organism and so on.

2. There is no "every" collection. Collections vary from very general to very special with everything in between. Ammonites? Trilobits? Dino and shark teeth? I have a few ammos, because I got some as gifts and found a few myself. I have nothing of the others mentioned and I don´t will acquire any of these. No interest in buying, only self collecting around my home with slim, but not nil chances of trilobites and shark teeth. But I am not going for them.

3. What I will find during my prospecting and hunting trips.

4. Wikipedia should contain at least one pic of every fossil species.

5. I don´t go to museums and my pop-up fossils are still rudists.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 2

For me, the most iconic fossil - Strelley Pool stromatolite. Oldest fossilised life on Earth 

Edited by Yoda
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

1 I feel like with dinosaurs at least. Tyrannosaurus is always the first dinosaur most people name.

2  Trilobites are my favorite so with me they are the most iconic fossils.

3 With this thread i think most people are going to post there favorite type of fossil like Myself and @Tidgy's Dad

• Enjoyed 1

Cheers!

James

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Your thoughts about iconic fossils.

I'd love to find a complete Diplurus longicaudatus, but, ... will likely never happen. 

Coelacanth-Fossil-Diplurus-1000px.png

Image courtesy of PRI. &   Digital Atlas of Ancient Life

• Enjoyed 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

40 minutes ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

1 I feel like with dinosaurs at least. Tyrannosaurus is always the first dinosaur most people name.

2  Trilobites are my favorite so with me they are the most iconic fossils.

3 With this thread i think most people are going to post there favorite type of fossil like Myself and @Tidgy's Dad

Interestingly, I would also have said tyrannosaurus (Stan) and trilobite. Perhaps also megalodon tooth.

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

5. I don´t go to museums and my pop-up fossils are still rudists.

Franz Bernhard

FB... when you get to Wyoming, please allow me to show you around the Tate Museum.  I hope you can make an exception to your No. 5.   : )

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

48 minutes ago, jpc said:

FB... when you get to Wyoming, please allow me to show you around the Tate Museum.

Thank you very much! Are there any rudists in the Tate ;)?
Only problem, I think, I will never leave Austria again.

Franz Bernhar

• Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I can't believe they left the Tullymonster off of this list, vicious little predator that it was. :Smiling:

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 11/10/2023 at 8:42 PM, North said:

1. What fossils you would consider to be iconic fossils?

2. Something that should belong in every collection?

3. Some gems from everyone's wishlist?

4. One that picture should be in dictionary?

5. Museum piece that you would specifically go to look or something that first pops to your mind when you think about fossils?

1. Popular non-avian dinosaurs (e.g. Tyrannosaurus, TriceratopsStegosaurusApatosaurus), popular extinct mammals (e.g. Mammuthus, Smilodon), 'transitional fossils' (e.g. ArchaeopteryxAustralopithecusTiktaalik), generic 'caveman', generic Green River fish fossil, generic trilobite and generic ammonite.

2. I agree with Franz, there are no fossils that should be in absolutely every collection.

3. Large vertebrate fossils in general.

4. Archaeopteryx.

5. ArchaeopteryxPsittacosaurus, spinosaurids in general, 'transitional fossils' in general, obscure genera, Cambrian fossils in general, Ediacaran fossils in general, exceptionally presevered fossils, whale fossils in general.

The iconic fossil to me is the Coelacanth. First of all, considering it's geological age, the discovery/description of its fossil, then 102 years later, it's found to be still existing.

And then, in my younger years reading the National Geographic issue with pictures of them in their natural environment just fascinated me.

Talk about surviving mass extinction(s)...!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Steve

1 hour ago, Bullsnake said:

The iconic fossil to me is the Coelacanth. First of all, considering it's geological age, the discovery/description of its fossil, then 102 years later, it's found to be still existing.

And then, in my younger years reading the National Geographic issue with pictures of them in their natural environment just fascinated me.

Latimeria is amazing fish. Considering that locals had casually cought those and only used it scales as sandpaper, I could imagine how it felt to see one back then.

Hopefully it does not go extinct now cause of humans.

• I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

I also have a fascination with the Coelacanth. 
And have a few books on the topic

This is one of them

IMG_7762.jpeg

Edited by Yoda
  • Enjoyed 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

On 11/10/2023 at 7:35 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you very much! Are there any rudists in the Tate ;)?
Only problem, I think, I will never leave Austria again.

Franz Bernhar

No rudists.  We focus on Wyoming fossils, and these are unknown in the marine Cretaceous of our state.  

• Thank You 1