Callahan

All,

can anyone give me a positive id on this possible vertebra I found in creek bed wall?

little of rock was sticking out of bank. I was digging in a layer where i find selenite crystals with coal in the gray brittle dirt. 

think someone commented on the only other vertebrae I found is called gray Merle or woodbine formation. 

it is very brittle and did one coat of leather shellac to keep from crumbling any more 

found north Texas 

any ideas would be much appreciated 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

What county was it found in?

Looks more mammalian to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is highly eroded...you might compare it to archosaurs.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Tarrant county.  Near Arlington tx in the grayish layer with a ton of selenite and trees that seem to be coal.  

think it’s the woodbine formation.  

very crumbly and it is fossilized. The condition of fossil Very similar to positive id i posted on here awhile back vertebrae I found on woodbine formation layer and near that area.  On the forum some experts said might be a plesiosaurs or croc or mosasuar etc.  

if this is a bone it’s only my second dinosaur bone I’ve found in area minus a couple fish bones and a few shark teeth.  

• Enjoyed 1

This find is very big. 

hopefully someone can tell what it is. 

it’s very weathered and would of fell apart if I didn’t put shellac on it. 

I can post a pic of soil layer of will help. Not location but give y’all a idea of the layer I found. 

Edited by Callahan

Found another vertebra in coal rich,selenite rich ,gray Marl behind bigger vertebra.  

definitely same animal 

Could possibly be partial skeleton 

Is this a rare find ? Never knew dinosaur stuff was in North TX.  

I'm an Indian artifact guy. 

here is pic of other one. 

C0DB9C4D-EB50-49EA-817D-CC174D7C0510.jpeg

AC35F32C-71D5-49B1-9C66-D2A3686B7BF5.jpeg

It helps a lot if you can take, clear, well-lit, well zoomed or cropped photos from 6 sides.  Think of each fossil as a dice.  Take a pic of the top, bottom, front, back, left and right sides.  Take each picture straight-on of that side.  Don't take obliques.  Be sure to include a ruler, preferably in metric, next to the fossil for accurate scale reference.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

These would be pretty big finds in my book, worth looking if there's more. I think your at Woodbine/Grayson marl contact zone, dont think bones are found in Grayson and judging by color I'd say they're from Woodbine. But, are there alluvial deposits there? Bones could be more recent. Either way if I was to hold that my hand would disappear so measurements are important :) along with proper pics with no distracting background .:D

• Enjoyed 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Big vertebra dinosaur?