Isle of Wight UK Theropod tooth genus?

msantix

Hi,

I saw this listing for a Neovenator tooth from the Isle of Wight UK, found in the Wessex Formation, and was just wondering if this tooth could indeed be from Neovenator, or if it is a theropod indet (might be hard to tell since it is only a partial tooth). Striations partially remain on one side and the tooth is about 3cm. Thanks!

Sam051-1_1024x1024.png?v=1693344877

Sam051-2_1024x1024.png?v=1693344888

Sam051-3_1024x1024.png?v=1693344901

Any serration counts or measurements? Pretty sure those would be needed to ID anything further than Theropod indet.  :unsure:

Any cross section images from the bottom or top?

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Unfortunately these are the only 3 photos of the tooth, and there is only the locality info as well as the seller calling it Neovenator. So I am guessing it would just be an unidentified Theropod tooth from the Wessex Formation.

there is a post made by Frank that talk about Neovenator tooth , though i believe its still hard to make a proper ID on it :unsure:  but good thing is it is a rare tooth from locality that hard to get a hold of fossil tooth .

• I found this Informative 1

So I was tagged in this, and was unsure as to respond or not due to a bias and this being a tooth of mine, but I will go over the following reasons why I have labeled it as such. Currently there is only two large non-baryonychine theropods from the Wessex formation these are as follows, Neovenator salerii and Eotyrannus lengi. 

Even with what is currently present on the tooth the CBW/CBL does not match that of Eotyrannus nor do the denticle shape (Eotyrannus is very distinct) and while the tooth is worn down enough enamel is present on the mesial side to show that serrations did not extend to the base of the crown (something that is a characteristic of Neovenator teeth).

Finally to speak upon the idea it might have come from an unknown theropod is a possibility, however speaking with the individual who found the holotype and others on the isle who each have more than 40 years of experience its highly likely to be Neovenator as there is currently no evidence for another large theropod on the Isle, there will however be another smaller theropod described in the following years however I can confirm it will not be a Neovenatoridae.

Hope this helps 

Thanks Matt

• I found this Informative 2