Othniel C. Marsh

I have also decided that tooth 4 is of the genus Cretolamna, probably C. maroccana, and tooth 6 a Serratolamna, so the only specimens still requiring ID's are 1, 7-10, and the 2 other odontaspidid teeth.

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Having done further research I have come to the conclusion that teeth 8 and 9 are both Striatolamia, although whether are S. striata or S. macrota I am not sure and probably require an expert opinion on that front. I am also not so sure about 7 or 10: they could be more StriatolamiaOdontaspis, or another genus entirely. I doubt 12, given how worn it is, can be identified to a genus level, but if I had to hazard guess I would opt for Serratolamna, as dries85 supposed.

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

9 hours ago, Othniel C. Marsh said:

Having done further research I have come to the conclusion that teeth 8 and 9 are both Striatolamia, although whether are S. striata or S. macrota I am not sure and probably require an expert opinion on that front. I am also not so sure about 7 or 10: they could be more StriatolamiaOdontaspis, or another genus entirely. I doubt 12, given how worn it is, can be identified to a genus level, but if I had to hazard guess I would opt for Serratolamna, as dries85 supposed.

I am finding this website really helpful at the moment: https://savage-seas.weebly.com/id-your-finds-pt-2-of-10.html

Obviously the location is different, but there seems to be some overlap with genus types and time periods, so maybe it'll be useful to you.