Can i prep this Ammonite?

Alvrr.0

So i found this Ammonite few months ago.

I want to prep it but there is some factors that made me think its quite hard/impossible with the tools that I have right now

The first thing is how sticky is the matrix (I dont know if you can see in the image) but the matrix is really sticky and thick in some places. 

The second thing is the size of the specimen, and its not even complete. Thats the principal thing that made me want to prep it, but I dont know if is possible 

I have the Dremel 290 with the Zoic tips

IMG_20231201_022316.jpg

IMG_20231201_022512.jpg

IMG_20231201_022447.jpg

IMG_20231201_022334.jpg

IMG_20231201_022459.jpg

Best of luck to ya.  Looks like a tuff prep job, but who knows?  Just start preppin and see what happens. 

RB

1 hour ago, jpc said:

do you have  scrap piece from the same site you could practice on?  

I would call this ammonite a scrap piece since it is a partial but I'm a bit jaded...

• I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would call this ammonite a scrap piece since it is a partial but I'm a bit jaded...

:heartylaugh::heartylaugh::DOH: I think it's nice!

Cheers!

James

52 minutes ago, trilobites_are_awesome said:

:heartylaugh::heartylaugh::DOH: I think it's nice!

That’s why I said I’m jaded. I’ve been collecting fossils for 43 years and have prepped some of the most unexpected and amazing fossils. I’m not a good judge of what’s good for a collector. 🤣

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If its the only ammonite he's found amidst thousands of clams... then I would disagree.  But then I am jaded as well.  : )

• Enjoyed 1

23 minutes ago, jpc said:

If its the only ammonite he's found amidst thousands of clams... then I would disagree.  But then I am jaded as well.  : )

I found better Ammonites in that place, but all are smaller. But im quite an Ammonite fan 🤣. I will try but I dont have faith to be honest.  

3 hours ago, jpc said:

do you have  scrap piece from the same site you could practice on?  

Yessss. The zone where i picked up that specimen got plenty of fossiliferus rock, there are like 3 types of sedimentary and this specimen got the hardest one 🤣

On 12/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, Alvrr.0 said:

Well, I will try. Thanks for the response! 

If you can, please post pics!  I'd love to see how it turns out

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

I have a few ammonites I accidentally butchered during the removal process or partial “almost complete” specimens.. I keep them for practice, better to learn from mistakes on those anyway!