Stingray Prep

Ptychodus04

I just got started on a stingray from the Green River Formation. It’s in a few pieces but I believe it is all there. Time will tell. Here’s the 1st section.

As prep is beginning.

IMG_1125.thumb.jpeg.4f294a2711afe8fcfc7485da23651ea7.jpeg

6 hours in:

IMG_1130.thumb.jpeg.c508dea3ac15f14038f2285f70c7d9f1.jpeg

Time lapse

17 hours in:

IMG_1140.thumb.jpeg.34c37660d581d8639f7e3cc5d4f89799.jpeg

The rays are so delicate, I’m limited to working around 3 hours max in one session before I need a break to rest my hand and mind. Any minor slip means that part of the specimen is destroyed and its 100% scribe work. No easy air abrasive on this guy, it would blow the specimen right off the matrix! It’s definitely a high intensity prep.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 24

Very cool!  Your doing great so far!

• Thank You 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

19 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Amazing!  I didn't even see it in the "before" photo.

Don

:default_rofl: Typical stingray behavior... hide right under the surface and attack when anything comes near you.

• Enjoyed 2

Another great start to an awesome prep Kris! I can see why it’s an intense job. I bet a stiff breeze would blow the delicate thing right off the slab! Looking good so far though. :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thats purty dang cool Kris.  Cant wait to see how you fit it together and 'fix/repair' the cracks?  

oh, and by the way, may I ask what airscribe that is your using?

RB

Edited by RJB

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Thats purty dang cool Kris.  Cant wait to see how you fit it together and 'fix/repair' the cracks?  

oh, and by the way, may I ask what airscribe that is your using?

RB

The scribe is an HW322. Unfortunately, it looks like Winkler may be done with the scribe making business. Apparently, no new orders have been being filled. That's going to leave a vacancy in the high end scribe market. I just ordered a ZPTBL-Balaur from Zoic with all 6 stylus configurations to test. Fingers are crossed that it is comparable to the HW322. We shall see.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Geodogg said:

Thanks for sharing!  What magnification do you typically prefer for scribing on a ray's fin? 

First, good to see you here. :D

I'm working at 20X on this specimen. I'll bump it up for the tips of the fins if they are giving me trouble since they are so fine.

22 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The scribe is an HW322. Unfortunately, it looks like Winkler may be done with the scribe making business. Apparently, no new orders have been being filled. That's going to leave a vacancy in the high end scribe market. I just ordered a ZPTBL-Balaur from Zoic with all 6 stylus configurations to test. Fingers are crossed that it is comparable to the HW322. We shall see.

Doing a great job on that ray fella!   Ive got 3 of the Zoic scribes and was thinkin of getting the Balaur.  I do love the way they only use 2.5 bars of pressure!   I dont like the TRex, I think that one is a nerve destroyer!  Just too much vibration.  I havent used the big guy yet, Bronto, but will be trying that out this winter on a Huge crab concretion.  Now get back to work.  Sorry bout being so bossy, I was the boss for most of my professional life.  Lets get to it.  Chop chop!  Andale andale!  Lets get to it!

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Doing a great job on that ray fella!   Ive got 3 of the Zoic scribes and was thinkin of getting the Balaur.  I do love the way they only use 2.5 bars of pressure!   I dont like the TRex, I think that one is a nerve destroyer!  Just too much vibration.  I havent used the big guy yet, Bronto, but will be trying that out this winter on a Huge crab concretion.  Now get back to work.  Sorry bout being so bossy, I was the boss for most of my professional life.  Lets get to it.  Chop chop!  Andale andale!  Lets get to it!

RB

I like the low pressure as well. I ordered a Trex at the same time. Wanted to see how it compares to the ME9100. It’s also pretty rough on the hands. 

I was thinking about getting a Bronto as well but that would have pushed me into a painful level of expense all at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Balance said:

How could you see that was in there?!? 

I keep looking at the original and I can’t see it. 

It takes some practice. Look at the lighter horseshoe shaped bit in the original photo.

@Ptychodus04

So it’s in between the layers? I can see the material peeking out in the body and even the outline bones on the right side but I’m just baffled. It’s like you had to find the chatoyant pattern in the rock but still can’t figure out how you knew where to start on the outer bones. 

Im uneducated  and therefore easy to impress but I’m putting this in my list of incredibly talented skills of the world. 

Jp

@Balance yes, the ray is under a thin layer of matrix with the black bits being where it’s poking out.

Sometimes, the specimen is deep in the matrix and it’s a lot harder to figure out what’s going on.

• Thank You 1

Not sure if it's my imagination or not, but I think I can see the fin bones on the right side in the original pic. Just hints of slightly higher surfaces.  Then again, I've been working on some game coding for most of the past 12 hours, so who knows what I'm seeing... Looks really good so far!

Edited by daves64

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Great work! I'm looking forward to seeing how you attach the larger fossil pieces (no pressure!).  Thx

Btw...im still hunting for a microscope.....  and I'm ready to cry cus Santa is not nice 

13 hours ago, daves64 said:

Not sure if it's my imagination or not, but I think I can see the fin bones on the right side in the original pic. Just hints of slightly higher surfaces.  Then again, I've been working on some game coding for most of the past 12 hours, so who knows what I'm seeing... Looks really good so far!

It’s not your imagination. There’s slight indication of the fins there. 

just to be pedantic (my wife is sleeping so she can’t yell at me), they aren’t bones. It’s cartilage. :P

10 hours ago, Geodogg said:

Great work! I'm looking forward to seeing how you attach the larger fossil pieces (no pressure!).  Thx

Btw...im still hunting for a microscope.....  and I'm ready to cry cus Santa is not nice 

I gave up on Santa years ago. He never got me anything I asked for. 

• I found this Informative 1