Stingray Prep

Ptychodus04

21 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I like the low pressure as well. I ordered a Trex at the same time. Wanted to see how it compares to the ME9100. It’s also pretty rough on the hands. 

Best of luck to ya Kris.  I'm already thinkin of selling mine. 

RB

On 12/9/2023 at 9:20 PM, Geodogg said:

Great work! I'm looking forward to seeing how you attach the larger fossil pieces (no pressure!).  Thx

Btw...im still hunting for a microscope.....  and I'm ready to cry cus Santa is not nice 

Is it Santa that isn't nice, or that YOU are on the naughty list?? :P

• Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Is it Santa that isn't nice, or that YOU are on the naughty list?? :P

More likely that I'm on the naughty list but I'm going with Santa's a jerk. I think it's probably the same for @Geodogg :default_rofl:

Edited by Ptychodus04
  • Enjoyed 1

Fabulous work as always Kris!  I cant wait to see the finished prep.  I am also looking forward to your review of the Balaur.  I've had my eye on it ever since they released it.  I have a Zoic microraptor but could definitely  use something on the lighter side.  The short length of the Balaur is really appealing for working under my scope too.

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

48 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Fabulous work as always Kris!  I cant wait to see the finished prep.  I am also looking forward to your review of the Balaur.  I've had my eye on it ever since they released it.  I have a Zoic microraptor but could definitely  use something on the lighter side.  The short length of the Balaur is really appealing for working under my scope too.

Thanks. I'm not sure how long the waitlist is to get the Balaur. Hopefully not as long as the Winkler scribes. I waited a year each time!

Great work Kris!  In regards to Santa; thanks to him the first rock I learned to identify was coal... year after year nothing but coal... but then one year I found a fossil in a chunk of coal.  In the end, I agree, he's a jerk because now I've found myself on a slippery slope of investing in fossil prep equipment..... sigh, it never ends !

9 minutes ago, Geodogg said:

In the end, I agree, he's a jerk because now I've found myself on a slippery slope of investing in fossil prep equipment..... sigh, it never ends !

:default_rofl: I hear you! Now that my son is looking to get into the family business, I'm staring down the barrel of buying even more prep equipment...

• I found this Informative 1

Incredible !

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Spectacular job!

• Thank You 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Wow! from start to finish and the final result...WOW! is all I can think of.  And then the thought pops into me noggin.

What do you do to unwind the tension and recover from the visual and mental concentration from such delicate, precise application of the fossil preparation discipline skills?

My lizard brain says this is like never ending surgery or doing a million piece puzzle with two colors - gray and very dark gray and you have to guess what the picture is because the box is blank.

Congrats! Your client will be over the moon.

• Thank You 1

Well done, Kris.

Exemplary work, as per usual.
Thanks for showing us a bit behind the curtain! :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, SPrice said:

What do you do to unwind the tension and recover from the visual and mental concentration from such delicate, precise application of the fossil preparation discipline skills?

My lizard brain says this is like never ending surgery or doing a million piece puzzle with two colors - gray and very dark gray and you have to guess what the picture is because the box is blank.

I tend to take projects like this in small doses, no more than 4 hours without a break. Breaks tend to look like me napping on the couch with my miniature schnauzer "Scout". :P

It's not quite as bad as it seems. Once I know what I'm prepping, it's easy to find an example photo on the net. The stressful part is the delicate nature of some of these projects. There are times where I have to remove individual grains of sediment to keep from destroying the specimen that is sub 1mm thick itself. The tips of the individual rays on this specimen were only a couple microns thick. Any slip of the scribe will remove them entirely. Thus, lots of breaks with Scout. :D

• Enjoyed 1