Grayson formation nautiloids- Tarrant County TX

Shaun-DFW Fossils

I would love to learn from some of you regarding what species of nautiloids these are (maybe multiple species). They’re different than the larger ones I find more often in similar areas and I like the pattern detail visible on some of them. They almost always have a very distinct curve at the outer edge. These are mostly from 2 spots in burleson TX. The unusual nautiloid with lots of details visible and crystallized (looks brown in the photo)54E0793B-4B2F-45EB-88FF-0BE202C5ED75.thumb.jpeg.0339a589b8383b26e7b882654d7e2b46.jpeg on the inside was from a different spot (maybe Fort Worth formation?) where I find mortoniceras ammonites. 

F10A1446-12C6-40DE-9AD7-D69737E5D4D9.jpeg

7060F42F-795C-4B18-9AE7-DE0DA2E40DC1.jpeg

3FDBA99E-D2C8-4FF2-9AA6-91831721E451.jpeg

95DF9945-128E-4844-8BE9-7B66534F9D4D.jpeg

1F82FC8D-319D-4B39-A9CB-8330788A210F.jpeg

1A97894B-5148-4D15-AB45-4023BB050D7F.jpeg

5B6D760F-A3C0-4C89-8B20-CF1531EA200E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

I also forgot I had this nautiloid with oysters stuck to it and crystals visible on the back side 

E9FC9746-35A8-4852-BB31-A04D5977DFB8.jpeg

F0746AAF-F0A3-4010-B1CC-B21684ED4301.jpeg

6C9A28FD-1A65-4052-86EE-EAF86C9E4E3C.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Hi,

If I can give some advice :

- Take your photos with a contrasting and plain background, here the colours are too close to each other to see well,

- don’t hold your fossils in your hand to take the pictures, it brings nothing but blur,

- and size, size, size! For any request for identification ;)

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

7 hours ago, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

Here we have the genus Cymatoceras and possibly Xenocheilus Excellent finds!

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Just now, Ammonit said:

Thank you! I will use that info to do more digging (no pun intended) :)

2 minutes ago, Ammonit said:

And how often do you have nautilus?

They are quite common in the right exposures locally, though completely absent from other areas. Shallow construction projects often unearth them, but they’re completely absent from formations where I find large ammonites. 

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2023 at 9:13 PM, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

I also forgot I had this nautiloid with oysters stuck to it and crystals visible on the back side 

E9FC9746-35A8-4852-BB31-A04D5977DFB8.jpeg

6C9A28FD-1A65-4052-86EE-EAF86C9E4E3C.jpeg

I took the risk of cutting this unique nautiloid that I found under a bridge by a busy highway. I was blown away..especially after my friend Mercer got it polished for me. What a beauty! If anyone has ever seen a Texas nautiloid (other than mine) sliced and looking like this, I want to know. I think this one belongs in my personal collection permanently. Tarrant county, TX, found last Summer. 

IMG_1033.jpeg

IMG_1034.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

Here’s one more, this nautiloid simply looked too difficult to clean on the outside (and I have a lot of these) so I decided to slice it. The one I posted yesterday is still my favorite, but this one is alright. Tarrant County TX

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Are you just now getting those back?  That one from yesterday is bad !  I think you have found more nautiloids than everyone in Texas combined. :ammonite01:  I think @JamieLynn has nautiloids in her collection might look there for ID.  How are you determining what formation your in?

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Are you just now getting those back?  That one from yesterday is bad !  I think you have found more nautiloids than everyone in Texas combined. :ammonite01:  I think @JamieLynn has nautiloids in her collection might look there for ID.  How are you determining what formation your in?

I got these back and about 50 conlinoceras yesterday, I just keep looking at them like a kid in a candy shop. lol! Nautiloids (mine are cymatoceras species) were in more shallow environments from what I’ve heard, these are Grayson formation, though I sometimes rarely find them where I find Fort Worth formation mortoniceras ammonites. But more often I am finding nautiloids, echinoids and oysters/scallops together but no ammonites in the same areas

Hi @Shaun-DFW Fossils !
 There are three genera of nautiloids found in our Texas Cretaceous - Eutrophoceras, Cymatoceras and Paracymatoceras.  Cymatoceras have the larger chambers with the wider suture lines and Paracymatoceras have the narrower bands. You  have mostly Cymatoceras but a couple of Paracymatoceras as well.  Eutrophoceras are very very wide at the opening and are only found in upper Cretaceous and not in the same localities as  Cymato and Paracymato. The species can depend on what formation, but most are going to be Cymatoceras hilli. They range from very small to very large. Paracymatoceras texanum is the only species in that branch. Good finds! I'd just die and go to heaven if I found that many nautiloids! 

Oh, and PS. the ammonite in your original post is an Oxytropidocers rather than a Mortoniceras. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, JamieLynn said:

Hi @Shaun-DFW Fossils !
 There are three genera of nautiloids found in our Texas Cretaceous - Eutrophoceras, Cymatoceras and Paracymatoceras.  Cymatoceras have the larger chambers with the wider suture lines and Paracymatoceras have the narrower bands. You  have mostly Cymatoceras but a couple of Paracymatoceras as well.  Eutrophoceras are very very wide at the opening and are only found in upper Cretaceous and not in the same localities as  Cymato and Paracymato. The species can depend on what formation, but most are going to be Cymatoceras hilli. They range from very small to very large. Cymatoceras texanum is the only species in that branch. Good finds! I'd just die and go to heaven if I found that many nautiloids! 

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, that’s helpful! I have a few smaller nautiloids that I think look really neat with wide bands, they are also fairly slender in width compared to the larger ones. A few of them are in the original first post and I think you’re referencing those as paracymatoceras, thanks for the info!

3 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

This one is Paracymatoceras:  See the narrow bands: 

Thank you, very interesting! That’s the one that looked so beautiful sliced. It was the only nautiloid I found in a spot that has a lot of small mortoniceras ammonites. I have another one that is in really good shape on the outside, I’m still working on it. 

IMG_1614.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

These are really nice too!

I'm rather fond of nautiloids. :nautilus::b_love1:

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 2/10/2024 at 10:42 PM, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

I took the risk of cutting this unique nautiloid that I found under a bridge by a busy highway. I was blown away..especially after my friend Mercer got it polished for me. What a beauty! If anyone has ever seen a Texas nautiloid (other than mine) sliced and looking like this, I want to know. I think this one belongs in my personal collection permanently. Tarrant county, TX, found last Summer. 

IMG_1033.jpeg

IMG_1034.jpeg

Beautiful specimen!  I'm still on the hunt for my first Nautiloid and first Ammo, they are both pretty scarce in the KC area.

Happy hunting!

-Jay

• Thank You 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne