Shellseeker

I may get another hunting trip before 2024,  but possibly not. It will be tough to match this one on Volume and diversity.  The smaller shark teeth were numerous,  including 4 broken Megs .. late in the day found an almost complete one.

IMG_4316c.thumb.JPG.31deeb4876f559a90510a3e944878cbe.JPGIMG_4317ce.thumb.jpg.da2bbf84948e09ef68acc3161523b54b.jpg

When there are a lot of bones in the sieve. I limit myself to the best 3 , usually ones I do not recognize. I always think I'll have time later to attempt an ID.  We'll see,

On the lower left , one of the better Dugong Vert process I have found. There are a couple of Mastodon tooth fragments, a Mammoth fragment that might be a spit tooth and a piece of Bark ivory in lower left.  a Bovid tooth that might be a broken m3, a Paramylodon harlani lower left caniniform and some interesting horse teeth. Add in a whale Vert, tortoise osteoderm and dolphin bulla that showcase the diversity of the fossils available in the river.

IMG_4315c.thumb.JPG.2a2b8a68defc96e0dfb17f51bfdd4157.JPG

The Peace River is relatively low right now , but will get lower. One advantage is the depth at which I dig. Due to a problem with my lower back, I enjoy hunting deeper water. Today I was digging fossils from nearly 6 feet below the river surface, and frequently I had to hold my breath to keep the river from flowing in. It is a technique I developed over the years.  A reason that these fossil spots have continued productivity is that they are unavailable to hunt with normal techniques most of the year.  Some closer photos of a few fossils.

IMG_4331ce.thumb.jpg.9618a263ae6e9b58b853cf66c13ea664.jpgIMG_4326.thumb.JPG.c57674e83787d6dfb6f4e25f8c22ddb4.JPGIMG_4321text.thumb.jpg.8555f044ff70f3005e598de8c18c1165.jpgIMG_4320ce.thumb.jpg.da5aa32bbf7900b98a2001fb7015e972.jpg

I was hunting alone today and based on experience,  I do not have to worry about gators whenever I am wearing my 5 mm wetsuit. When I am chilled, the gators want nothing to do with me or anyone else.

Just recording the finds, and sharing as I try to do with every hunting trip...  Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 19

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Love the report! You always come back with the best stuff! I know most people want big sharks teeth but if I found that many mammal fossils they would hear me hoot and holler all the way in Key West. 

Stay warm if you go this week! 

Jp

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, spike said:

Beautiful stuff! I’ve been meaning to go down to Peace River sometime soon. Looks like you have a really good rhythm going.

Yes,  I have been over_fortunate for much of the year and it seems like I am pulling the right levers. 

One is that I hunt Bone Valley waterways about 100 times a year,  and I started 15 years ago when I 1st retired from IBM.  A second is that for most of the 15 years, I have had friends local to the area who have hunted Bone Valley for 40 years. Finally, as those friends are happy to attest, I am really, really lucky on which fossils happen to fall into my sieve. 

But even with all the above, I can find fossil bearing gravel almost anywhere on the Peace River and If I dig long enough (5-6 hours) and deep enough (deeper than the casual fossil hunter),  I can at least find many of the small shark teeth that keep me coming back.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

One is that I hunt Bone Valley waterways about 100 times a year,  and I started 15 years ago when I 1st retired from IBM. 

I couldn’t imagine what my collection would look like with 1500 trips under my belt! You definitely deserve your finds with all the effort you have been putting in!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1