Keicho - no shoulder blades, no pelvis...?

Ezio Bonsignore

No shoulder blades or pelvis are visible. Just a matter of presentation/preparation, or someone sort of forgot such annoying details while carving/painting a fake?

one.png

two.png

three.png

9 minutes ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

someone sort of forgot such annoying details while carving/painting a fake?

I'd go with this answer. This looks 100% carved and painted and 0% original.

• I Agree 2

Fake or not, the presentation of the specimen is the dorsal aspect - the "missing" parts are buried in the matrix. I think it is an actual specimen.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It could be real, but it IS heavily painted.  I'd pass just for that reason.

The prep is pretty heavy handed, and it's not a great specimen, to begin with.  :unsure:

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It could be real,

I am judging by the skull's appearance (check out the teeth), It and the first bit of neck look original. The rest appears paint monkeyed. I too, would pass on such a purchase. This critter is commonly available, so seeking a better piece is the wisest course. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Even if it is real (which I'd bet it isn't), the fact that they prepared it so poorly that the hips went 'missing' is a huge red flag.

Edited by Psittacosaur9

Thank you all again for the comments and advice. Just to clarify my point: thanks to this wonderful forum, I have been progressively acquiring (well, I like to think I have) sort of a basic capabiity to identify at least the most blatant signs of possible fakery/manipulation. Just for this very reason, however, I am also acutely aware of the risk of falling into the typical neofite's trap, i.e. relying on my freshly-acquired pseudo-expertise to pass too rush judgements.

In this particular case, I wasn't at all interested in purchasing this keicho (if so). Rather, I needed to ascertain as to whether my assessment, "avoid it!"  was justified. I am thus relieved to see that you share it.

• Enjoyed 1

As snolly50 pointed out, the specimen is in its dorsal position, and so you won't see its pelvis and shoulder blades.  Here is a genuine specimen in its dorsal position, you can see the positive and negative plates.  Just for illustration of how a genuine specimen in its dorsal position looks like.

K1.jpg

K2.jpg