Michael1

Hey, wondering if anyone could ID this… tooth I think? Found it in a creek near the peace river my guess is that its some type of mammoth tooth but im not entirely sure. Last photo is the best results of the trip’s finds from the creek.

IMG_5705.jpeg

IMG_5704.jpeg

IMG_5709.jpeg

IMG_5708.jpeg

IMG_5712.jpeg

IMG_5400.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

perissodactyl  - big word! Needed to read up. ;) 

I did not realize rhinoceros were in this group. Nor did I realize that they all digest in their intestines. Interesting to me how that trait follows with the odd toe trait. Similar the even toed have multiple stomachs. Fascinating. 

makes me wonder why. I thought about the terrain as a factor but it’s flawed. Grasses in the guts and under the feet was my idea but cows and bison lived alongside them. 

Horses have a weak link with their digestive system.  I wonder if that carries over into tapir and rhinos? “Colic” is the term but that’s just the name for general digestive discomfort. There are a bunch of different types. Probably kills more of them than anything I’m aware of. Here’s in Florida sand colic is a big one and impactions from dehydration are right behind it.  I’ve seen a 5 gallon bucket worth of sand get taken out during a surgery. Not exaggerating in the slightest! 

Thanks for stimulating the brain y’all! 

Jp

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, Balance said:

Horses have a weak link with their digestive system.  I wonder if that carries over into tapir and rhinos? “Colic” is the term but that’s just the name for general digestive discomfort. There are a bunch of different types. Probably kills more of them than anything I’m aware of. Here’s in Florida sand colic is a big one and impactions from dehydration are right behind it.  I’ve seen a 5 gallon bucket worth of sand get taken out during a surgery. Not exaggerating in the slightest!

Sand colic problem in Texas too and the shame is there are things made for that problem you just add to feed like psyllium and it prevents build up of sand.

• I Agree 2