Every Palaeontological Item On Display at the Australian Museum (that I know of, as of 2023)

Psittacosaur9

What are the cabbages in the Ichtyosaur photo for? Just curious!

On 1/4/2024 at 7:47 PM, Paleoworld-101 said:

The 'Dinosaur Unearthed' exhibition from 2006 was centred around a newly acquired Centrosaurus skeleton block that the museum received through a specimen trade with a museum in Canada. The block was on show in the temporary exhibition space on the ground floor next to the foyer cafe (along with a variety of other dinosaur specimens) and you could watch museum staff doing preparation on it live. To this day the block (or at least part of it) has not been fully prepared, and up until relatively recently it was part of the current Dinosaurs gallery situated in front of the life-size dissected T. rex model. It has now been removed though, and i'm not sure of its current whereabouts. 

Yep the 2009 Mammoths exhibition was similar to the 2017 one. In the museum gift shop at the time they were even selling real mammoth hair in small riker display cases. I bought one and it was the coolest thing ever (i was 14 at the time). Are the photos of Mammoths you have from the 2009 or 2017 exhibits? I would be interested to see them if you find them

I do have some photos of myself (as a 7 year old!) at the 2002 Chinese Dinosaurs exhibition, and also photos and video from both the 2013 and 2021 Tyrannosaurs exhibits. If you're interested i could post them here, or we could compile them into a separate thread dedicated to past palaeontology exhibits of the Australian Museum. 

Regarding the birds gallery: The birds themselves are indeed the same but I was surprised to see during my visit last month that the insect box displays along the inner railing of that gallery have been removed. The gallery was often referred to as "Birds and insects". I wonder why they were taken down. There is nothing in their place (just bare railing). Perhaps a new insects exhibit is being planned. 

Now that you mention it, I remember the Centrosaurus block on display. I do know that the University of New South Wales has a Centrosaurus block now, so maybe it's the sme one. I'll have to ask when I go there next.

I only have photographs of the 2017 mammoth exhibition. I'm not sure how comprehensive the photos are, as I haven't looked at them for a while, and they might have been on a phone which completely broke, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find them, or at least some of them. I remember seeing some mammoth hair at a shop as a kid, but my mother dissuaded me from buying it and encouraged me to buy a Knightia instead, which I still own. She made the right decision, in hindsight.

As for the insects, I know why they were removed. They took up too much space, and prams could not get through properly, resulting in a lot of congestion. Part of the insects gallery was also repurposed for the Westpac gallery.

Finally, I do think starting a new topic would be best for the temporary exhibitions, seeing as this one is so long already. I would like to see you photos if you can share them, thank you.

Hello again.

I haven't yet had a chance to search for the temporary exhibition photographs, but one of my friends who works at the Powerhouse Museum found something interesting in a shared collection. @Paleoworld-101 I think you'll enjoy it.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6fed19898621ca981aee09bd0966696.jpeg

It's the sabre tooth model from the More than Dinosaurs exhibit! It probably represents Machairodus, as it was exhibited alongside australopithecine models. There is also a petrified tree stump, and a Meiolania skull not in this image.

image.thumb.jpeg.e8504f56a5bc6232936cc78004777a08.jpeg

There is also this Giganotosaurus replica skull.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:46 PM, Bringing Fossils to Life said:

What are the cabbages in the Ichtyosaur photo for? Just curious!

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Those cabbages are part of a sign about herbivorous dinosaurs. You can see next to the Sinornithosaurus some steaks, on a sign about carnivorous dinosaurs.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1