Holzmaden Wood Maggots -- what does it mean?

FF7_Yuffie

I see this in descriptions of a number of fossils from Holzmaden, Germany.

Example: "Belemnite Youngibelus gigas, made of wooden maggots" I have seen it before, I am guessing it is some translation error. But what is its actual meaning?

cheers

Show us a picture of a fossil in question to help us with the German description.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The German word for "wood" is "Holz", and the word for "maggot" is "Made", plural "Maden". So "wood maggots" is just a translation of the name "Holzmaden"...

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The name Holzmaden comes from „wood“ and „mahden“. Mahden is an old word for an area where grass is mowed.

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

2 hours ago, oilshale said:

The name Holzmaden comes from „wood“ and „mahden“. Mahden is an old word for an area where grass is mowed.

Didn't know that...! Very interesting and makes more sense than the literal translation Google provides ;)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett