Large deer-like bovine tooth, any ideas?

Jaybot

We found this nice tooth on the Kaw River (Kansas) this past summer. Permian glacial material has been found there. When we found it, we assumed that it was from a camel. I’m not so sure anymore, as it has a stylid, and resembles a white tailed deer tooth we found, only much larger.  Any ideas?

IMG_6530.jpeg

IMG_6531.jpeg

IMG_6532.jpeg

IMG_6533.jpeg

IMG_6534.jpeg

IMG_6535.jpeg

IMG_6536.jpeg

IMG_6537.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

It is pure enamel, no roots, no wear from chewing. Merely on the size, I am reminded of a Hemiauchenia macrocephala upper tooth I found in Florida 3 weeks ago. In this case, missing a stylid..Definitely interested in an identification2023Nov25thCamelidUpperRight_M2.thumb.jpg.166db92a42d067e55f24024e5deb7c97.jpg

2023Nov25thCamelidUpperRight_M3c.thumb.jpg.3ff3555b1d9575d889b92efb340eafda.jpg2023Nov25thCamelidUpperRight_M3d.thumb.jpg.268b3197157e3b5f4420506ced5169dc.jpg2023Nov25thCamelidUpperRight_M3e.thumb.jpg.fe0e6722a1843acd97fbaaa526a200f9.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

It is pure enamel, no roots, no wear from chewing. Merely on the size, I am reminded of a Hemiauchenia macrocephala upper tooth I found in Florida 3 weeks ago. In this case, missing a stylid..Definitely interested in an identification

Thanks for sharing!  That is a beautiful tooth, looks similar to ours, but the main difference I see is yours has a lack of a stylid.  Neat color on yours, I see what you mean with the wear, so I agree that ours must have been unerupted.

-Jay

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

47 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

Hmm.  It's from a selenodont artiodactyl, but which one is uncertain.  Neither Camelops nor elk occur in Florida, and both are beyond my experience.  The cingulum on your find is much different from that of white tail deer.  But, the lamine camelids I am familiar with have no cingulum at all.  Neither does the giant giraffe camel, Aepycamelus.  Furthermore, camel teeth seem more hypsodont, and cervid more brachydont. 

Weak evidence, but I'm leaning toward cervid.

deer_maxilla.thumb.JPG.556b49b94faafe12f972e6bd2dfe72a6.JPG

camelidtoothterminology.JPG.f8f70af771aae6db10a35a38589b41ad.JPGcamelmolar.jpg.404036a423a24ff9750cf0ef308c4265.jpgcamelidaepycamelusA.JPG.3b4d0a3c107778e65361a4bdeb018ea5.JPGcamelidaepycamelusB.JPG.8e05dd614f8f1e1b8a5c27044c3709ea.JPGcamelidaepycamelusC.JPG.6d40f755804e08b31dd1ccd65d73413e.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Weak evidence, but I'm leaning toward cervid.

Thank you Harry for your post!  After reading your post and comparing our find with your images, I agree it has to be some sort of cervid.

I can't find much on the internet on fossil cervids in kansas other than whitetail deer, but I did find two possible species.

Cervalces scotti

and

American mountain deer (Odocoileus lucasi)

Thoughts?

Now, I cannot for the life of me find any teeth or mandible images of these animals anywhere, so I don't know how to find out if our tooth is a match.

Thanks everyone for the help!

-Jay

14 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

If it's a cervid tooth, I think Wapiti (Cervus elaphus) is the most likely.

Ah, that's it.  Thank you so much Harry!

-Jay