Keichosaurus at last!

Ezio Bonsignore

Oh well, I suppose this is the way life works... after several years of asking for your advice about possible keichosaurus buy, and the respecting such advice, I have now ended up buying one simplly because I had to decide on "yes or no" in a matter of minutes, and there was thus no time to ask for the experts' assessment and I had to decide on my own judgement. This is described as having been prepped through sandblastingm with to repairs, panting or conservation whatsoever. I will not specify the buying price according to the forum's rules, but let's say it was less the trice the asking price for the horrible thing in my previous post.

So, what you think? I will accept anything from "you fool!° toi "congrats for the fine purchase" and all in between.

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

ca3.jpg

ca5.jpg

ca4.jpg

ca6.jpg

ca7.jpg

ca8.jpg

ca9.jpg

ca10.jpg

ca11.jpg

ca12.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

To my eye, and with the pics you provided, I think it looks pretty good.:)

• I Agree 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

As far as I can tell, it looks good and real. The preparation looks decent. The specimen has a nice 3D look and details, even some teeth.
Some bones are not in their original position, but that doesn't bother me at least.

• I Agree 1

That's a nice one! A whole lot better then a one I saw this year someone had decided to polish it.:DOH:

Edited by trilobites_are_awesome

Cheers!

James

Thank you for your friendly support. Upon receiving the item, I might add some more photos and comments if such could be of any help to other members interested in acquiring a keicho.

Real and quite good prep! Very nice!

Not the best preservation, though, meaning, some bones are naturally jumbled up, but to me, this makes it even more interesting.

Franz Bernhard

Congrats on getting a pretty good genuine Keichosaurus.  Yes, the bones are dislocated to some extent but it's natural.  I particularly like the slightly dislocated jaws with the sharp teeth exposed. 

• 2 weeks later...

An additional, and most probably rather paranoic, note.

I have since got my keicho, and I like it very much. I did however note that thr shipping label describes the item as "ceramic craft," and indicates and extremely low monetary value. I would certainly wish to believe that the first point was intended to circumvent the Chinese ban on fossil exports (the keicho was shipped from HK), while the second was to help the parcel slip unimpeded through Customs (which it did), but just to be on the safe side - is there any evidence of fake keichos being produced in China out of ceramic rather than plastic? In any case, is there a way to test as to whether the slab is rock or ceramic? Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

An additional, and most probably rather paranoic, note.

I have since got my keicho, and I like it very much. I did however note that thr shipping label describes the item as "ceramic craft," and indicates and extremely low monetary value. I would certainly wish to believe that the first point was intended to circumvent the Chinese ban on fossil exports (the keicho was shipped from HK), while the second was to help the parcel slip unimpeded through Customs (which it did), but just to be on the safe side - is there any evidence of fake keichos being produced in China out of ceramic rather than plastic? In any case, is there a way to test as to whether the slab is rock or ceramic? Thanks in advance

Don't worry, I am quite certain that the "ceramic craft" label and low monetary value are meant to "facilitate" the shipping.  You can use a magnifying glass to see the details of the bones of the specimen, replica won't have such details.

• I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

is there a way to test as to whether the slab is rock or ceramic?

Really easily! Scratch the back or carefully chip off a small piece.

although I agree with crazyhen. The description is probably to help the shipping process. And having had a ceramic business for a couple years I believe the level of detail in your earlier pictures is much too fine for a “ceramic craft”. So If its the same piece then it’s probably real…

If you haven't already, perhaps an inspection front and back with a UV blacklight. There should be some fluorescing either with the stone itself - like calcite, but also repairs or restorations may show differently under UV light than normal lighting.  I purchased some crab fossil concretions from ZhengZhou, China and they also were delivered with a misleading description and value on the package. 

Thank you all, now I am at peace. Yes, the details under a magnifying glass are very fine (teeth, etc,). What really disturbed me what not that much the suspicion of having been duped, but rather the perception of returning (if possible) or anyway discarding an item, that I like very much.

• Enjoyed 1

12 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

I would certainly wish to believe that the first point was intended to circumvent the Chinese ban on fossil exports (the keicho was shipped from HK), while the second was to help the parcel slip unimpeded through Customs

Puh!
Isn´t that all criminal?

Franz Bernhard

Posted (edited)

Puh!
Isn´t that all criminal?

Franz Bernhard

Well, this is certainly a point (rather, two different points) worth discussing, not so much in specific relation to my purchase but rather because of the implications for all of us, on either side of the pond. Illegal, yes by definition - but criminal...?

The logic of the Chinese Government wishing to control the export of fossils, and to block it as regards items of significant scientific value., is easily understandable and indeed commendable. As to the justifications for expanding this to a total ban, however, even including pretty common specimens as the keichos, I think opinions might differ. It is only too easly to establish parallels with other, similar forms of totalitarian, oppressive State control on all aspects of people's activities that are a common trait of all Chinese societies, and have become even more stringent under the current Communist regime. Rather than organizing and maintaining adequate structures in order to oversee and regulate the commercial  trade in fossils or any other item, it is certainly much easier, for goverments so inclined, to dictate an absolute prohibition on everthing and everyone, and regard the matter as settled.

It could certainly be observed that laws are laws and shall be respected no matter what. Thus, none of us should ever buy fossils from China or anyway of recent Chinese origin, given that triangulations can easily be organised. Such is certainly a respectable position to be held. It seems rather evident to me, however, that the Chinese authorities themselves are not that much interested in enforcing their ban, apart perhaps occasionally applying draconian punishment on some unfortunate individual "smuggler" in order to establish an example. I doubt very much as to whether Chinese border police would be that easily fooled by "ceramic craft" label, and I could hardly believe they are all in cahoots with fossil smuggler. Rather, I suspect a similar situation to Thailand's several years ago, when religious authorities prevailed onto the  goverment to establish a ban on the export of all images of the Buddha, this  being regarded as defilement. Of course turist's shops in Bangok were still selling such images by the thousand., which were then wrapped in several layers of carbon paper to make the parcel nearly impenetrable by airport's X-ray machines, and of course the policemen at the airport knew perfectly well what was inside the parcels - but everybody had made their point and were happy.

As to Customs, I'll not try and conceal my strongly-held negative opinions on their functions and roles in the current European civil society. The establishment of the EU has long ago brough about the abolishment of all previous trade barriers between member countries. As regard Germany, where I live, the borders with France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, the Netherlands, Poland, Chzekia and Austria no longer exist as regards the mouvement of people, goods and capital. The only extant borders, subjected to import/export duties are on land with Switzerland as well as via sea and air. One could have expected for this situation to have led to a drastic reduction in the Customs' size as regards both personnel and establishment, but nothing of the sort. They have effectively maintained their previous structure, and IMHO they are now but a parasitic entity which exists but to support itself - indeed, I doubt very much whether they contribution to the German Treasury matches their cost. Accordingly, although I did not ask the seller to produce a false value declaration, I'm quite happy he did so on its own choice. If this make me a criminal, I'lll be glad to accept it.

Edited by Ezio Bonsignore
wrong spelling
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

As a long time Ebayer - 26 years with 100% feedback, I've shopped internationally with few concerns. Canada has been an exception and I stopped sales and purchases after one incident. However pretty much every other country including Russia and China the transactions have been flawless. The above mentioned shipping and customs forms techniques seem to be the norm. The seller may state a low value/cost and thus the fees are also low.  More than a few Chinese transactions have included a caveat of something like this: Please contact direct if there are any issues. Do not attempt to return the item. The cost/fees to have something returned to China are higher than the purchase price.  Lose/Lose for buyer and seller.  The seller then offers a full refund or replacement - Win/Win! 

I was surprised at my first Chinese packages from years ago stating odd contents such as "small parts", "replacement parts" and similar descriptions...when in fact the contents were a nice wristwatch or electronic servos for radio control models. 

One of my most recent purchases from China were in fact fossils from Zheng Zou, China. The ebay listing title was Awaiting Excavation Surprise Crab Fossils Jurassic Dinosaur Age ...pretty funny to me. They arrived just fine. Now I need to watch more of Ron's crab prepping videos and cowboy up with my prepping tools. yeeehaaa!

Edited by SPrice

Posted (edited)

Things are getting quite interesting. The short exchange above did arouse my curiosity on a subject, that I had previously known only marginally, and thus I decided to make some research on my own. It took but a few minutes to locate the relevant law on the Chinese Government's web site:

https://www-gov-cn.translate.goog/gongbao/content/2019/content_5468945.htm?_x_tr_sl=zh-CN&_x_tr_tl=de&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=sc

As you will see, and contrary to frequent statements and comments in that sense, there is NO GENERAL BAN on the export of fossils. Quite a few complex and convolute regulations (some pretty logical and justifiable, other arguably less so) and a monumental amount of bureaucratic red tape that anyone in his right mind would certainly avoid if possible (hence, the "ceramic craft" shipping label), but no ban as such.

Edited by Ezio Bonsignore
wrong spelling
  • I found this Informative 1