Asialepidotus for sure, but is ir real?

Ezio Bonsignore

Two years ago there was a discussion (started on January 27, 2022) on what looked like a fine Asialepidotus specimen, but which eventually turned out to be a jaw-dropping replica, series-produced by 3D printing based on a real museum item. At that time, the consensus here was that there was absolutely no way to identify the forgery based on photos alone (no matter how detailed), and indeed some Members resisted accepting the thruth until the forger himself was quoted explaining how it was made.

Are things still at that point - I mean, it is impossible to discover a 3D print based on photos alone - or have we become cleverer? In pratical terms, what do you think of this one? It is being offered out of Taiwan, being described as "natural status".

asia1.jpg

asia2.jpg

asia4.jpg.7eda6f051d6de936627185bbec7a7baa.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong discussion. Could the moderation please move it to the appropriate thread? Thanks

Well, the detail is there and they are common fish, looks natural, so i guess its real, but as you mentioned, if someone decides to fake this (like in the specimen in post you mentioned) you couldn't tell just by photos.

See this topic:

So, I would be suspicious of any of these from China.

A: - If they are real, they are being illegaly exported.

B: - If they are not real, they are fake, and not worth the likely price to be paid. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"See this topic:"

Yes, that is the discussion I was referring to in my message.

If they are real, they are being illegaly exported."

No, or at least not necessarily. I have already provided the link to the official text of the relevant Chinese law, and here it goes again:

http://en.moj.gov.cn/pdf/RegulationsonProtectionofFossils.pdf

contrary to often repeated claims, in this forum and elsewhere, the export of fossils from China is not prohibited per se. The ban only applies to specimen "of high scientific research value of or great rarity," which is pretty logical. Common items such as this Asialepidotus can be legally exported, subject to certain bureaucratic controls.

• Enjoyed 1