Saw this HUGE(6.20") and Beautiful Megalodon Tooth, is it real?

18dubu

To my eye there appears to be more than minor root restoration.

It is very blotchy.

• I Agree 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, RJB said:

So much 'minor' root restoration that it leans onto the fake side even?

RB

which part of the side do you think that has been restored?

IF there is any restoration on the root, that calls into question the validity of the size.  <_<

Often, the roots will be built up to increase the size of the tooth. :shakehead:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Locality plays a key part in trying to understand what's going on.  The obvious repair patches on the root raise a red flag.  If this is from Indonesian it's a bigger red flag since roots from there are not well preserved and partial or complete resto on them is VERY common

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

IF there is any restoration on the root, that calls into question the validity of the size.  <_<

Often, the roots will be built up to increase the size of the tooth. :shakehead:

I agree! On pics doesn't seem to be the case, but it's possible that root was enlarged slightly, it's a common thing in Inonesia.

1 hour ago, TyBoy said:

Locality plays a key part in trying to understand what's going on.  The obvious repair patches on the root raise a red flag.  If this is from Indonesian it's a bigger red flag since roots from there are not well preserved and partial or complete resto on them is VERY common

It's definitely Indonesian...