Spinosaurus tooth natural?

AranHao

Hello,

may I ask if this Spinosaurus tooth is natural?

The seller said this is No repair or restoration.

Thanks for any opinions.

Merry Christmas!

m1237-2g.webp

m1237-1g.webp

m1237-3g.webp

M1237-4.gif

M1237-5.gif

Looks real to me.

Edited by trilobites_are_awesome
  • I Agree 1

Cheers!

James

I think the tooth looks pretty good, but higher resolution pictures and pictures showing the mesial and distal sides of the tooth would be helpful if you want to be sure nothing was restored. Right now I think there might be some areas with minor restorations, but I am not sure.

• I Agree 1

On 12/25/2023 at 4:54 AM, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

I think the tooth looks pretty good, but higher resolution pictures and pictures showing the mesial and distal sides of the tooth would be helpful if you want to be sure nothing was restored. Right now I think there might be some areas with minor restorations, but I am not sure.

Thank you for your opinion. I asked the seller to send pictures of both sides of the tooth.

Screenshot_20231227_014337_com.huawei.photos_edit_103870649546649.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_014334_com.huawei.photos_edit_103885871189355.jpg

Thanks for the additional pictures! On the first new picture you can see there is a “dent” in the tooth, and the crown has some areas close to the root that are not as shiny as the rest of the crown. I suspect there is some missing enamel there that might be covered up with something. (Also, both carinae usually extend all the way to the root when they are undamaged, and here one does not, which adds to my suspicion of some damage).

So I believe the tooth is not perfect, but I still think it is a pretty nice specimen.

Edited by BirdsAreDinosaurs
  • I Agree 1

Could be an interesting specimen to acquire, as most Spinosaurus teeth have a stone portion at the bottom to emulate the root, or where the enamel has chipped off.

6 hours ago, BirdsAreDinosaurs said:

Thanks for the additional pictures! On the first new picture you can see there is a “dent” in the tooth, and the crown has some areas close to the root that are not as shiny as the rest of the crown. I suspect there is some missing enamel there that might be covered up with something. (Also, both carinae usually extend all the way to the root when they are undamaged, and here one does not, which adds to my suspicion of some damage).

So I believe the tooth is not perfect, but I still think it is a pretty nice specimen.

The slight loss of enamel at the root is not important to me, whether the entire tooth is natural is more important.

I hope to obtain a natural and unrepaired.

5 hours ago, AranHao said:

The slight loss of enamel at the root is not important to me, whether the entire tooth is natural is more important.

I hope to obtain a natural and unrepaired.

I understand. I just pointed out those things because it is possible that those areas have been touched up. But it could also be that everything is natural. I just think that it is hard to tell from these images.

9 hours ago, Psittacosaur9 said:

Could be an interesting specimen to acquire, as most Spinosaurus teeth have a stone portion at the bottom to emulate the root, or where the enamel has chipped off.

I do not think that most Spinosaurid teeth have a faked root. There are many specimens around with a real portion of root, and I would even say that most teeth that I see for sale have that. But many do have an area comprised of a mixture of sand and glue at the end of the root, I guess for stabilization. In that sense I agree that this is a nice bit of root.

• 1 month later...

Its real and no red flags, its in decent condition , I see no real repairs, it has been covered completely in Paraloid b72 , thats what gives it the shine, it can always be removed using Acetone, but there is no reason to do so