saber-tooth skull

I'm interested in this skull, the price seems interesting to me, but I wanted to ask about it's authenticity over here.

Seller states it's originating from China, has around 3% restoration and is genus Amphimachairodus.

No further info on when this was found or imported into the EU.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!

4.png

5.png

6.png

2.png

3.png

1.png

It looks good to me. A lot of Chinese fossils are faked so be careful. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Real. Nice piece as well to own for maybe further preperation?

• Thank You 1

You should educate yourself on the legalities around owning vertebrate fossils found in China. Not only are they illegal to buy and sell, they are also illegal to own as there is no such thing as "pre-ban" Chinese vertebrate fossils either. 

• I found this Informative 5

On 1/2/2024 at 12:10 PM, PrehistoricFlorida said:

You should educate yourself on the legalities around owning vertebrate fossils found in China. Not only are they illegal to buy and sell, they are also illegal to own as there is no such thing as "pre-ban" Chinese vertebrate fossils either. 

Are the laws you are citing international laws/treaties, and/or US laws, and/or Chinese laws.  Note the poster is from Belgium.  Wouldn't the law have to be a Belgium law or a Chinese law recognized by Belgium or the EU or an international law/treaty that Belgium or the EU signed for ownership to be illegal or buying to be illegal in Belgium?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thanks for the insight to everyone who commented so far. I knew China was kind of strict on specimens of significant value, but didn't know the rules were that strict. I'm also wondering how far this extends, is it illegal for me to buy this specimen from a seller in the EU? I've seen many fossils from China listed all over the web, how do they get away with this then? I'm just very curious, thanks to anyone who can help!

It is always a little bit "under the table" with the Chinese fossils.

Many on the market, never heard that one has been confiscated in the EU when imported from the Chinese neighbour-countries. I would not expect any trouble when you import it from Korea, Taiwan or wherever, but due to the Chinese rules exporting directly from China is not allowed.

About the skull: It needs more prep to decide if it is 100% real or a bit fabricated. I am a bit unsure about the left upper canine and the front part of the upper jaw bones, but at a reasonable price buy it. Could be a nice one after some hours of work

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2024 at 6:08 AM, DV77 said:

Thanks for the insight to everyone who commented so far. I knew China was kind of strict on specimens of significant value, but didn't know the rules were that strict. I'm also wondering how far this extends, is it illegal for me to buy this specimen from a seller in the EU? I've seen many fossils from China listed all over the web, how do they get away with this then? I'm just very curious, thanks to anyone who can help!

They smuggle the fossils out to adjacent countries, who then sell and export them as being from "Old Collections. "

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think my three Chinese crab concretions had something on the customs form like ' Rock Samples' .   They certainly do well shipping almost anything out of China via popular auction sites.  Container loads of fake watches, fashion items, authentic Japanese samurai swords, you name it, sell via auction sites with their Authenticity Certification.  So why not anything fossil related, too? Just call them "white and brown mineral sample deluxe".

1 hour ago, SPrice said:

I think my three Chinese crab concretions had something on the customs form like ' Rock Samples' .   They certainly do well shipping almost anything out of China via popular auction sites.  Container loads of fake watches, fashion items, authentic Japanese samurai swords, you name it, sell via auction sites with their Authenticity Certification.  So why not anything fossil related, too? Just call them "white and brown mineral sample deluxe".

I've been contacted by law enforcement for a Brazilian fossil that was "stolen". They haven't taken possession of the fossil yet but it definitely felt like they'll be back. It's probably not a good idea to spend money you're not willing to lose on fossils of questionable legality.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1