In the annual TFF secret Santa I received a lot of cool fossils. One was a Mississippian aged bryozoan hash plate from the chesterian zone of the Bangor limestone. There are lots of interesting tiny details on the specimens so when looking through a microscope I spotted a tiny white sphere, only 150 micrometers in diameter. The question is, is it a fossil associated with the other bryozoans or is it just some synthetic foam or similar? The reason I ask is because it appears to be clean of matrix resting on top rather than imbedded. Stupid question? Maybe.

IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.0a92cd9f7a1403ac0cd00fbee2ac01ae.jpeg

IMG_2782.thumb.jpeg.eec1e68ea910d80ad94c40a54dbfc28e.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Gently poke it with a needle to see if it compresses.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

14 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Gently poke it with a needle to see if it compresses.

I gently poked it with a needle and it came off the matrix with the needle and after another poke it did not compress but broke into a few pieces.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Could it be a glass bead like the ones used in highway reflective paint? See if it is real reflective when shining a flashlight at it in the dark.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Could it be a glass bead like the ones used in highway reflective paint? See if it is real reflective when shining a flashlight at it in the dark.

Doesn't seem any brighter or more reflective than the fossils on the plate. 

Also it could be my imagination but there appears to be extremely tiny dark dots or holes all over it, just at the minimum size limit of human perception at this magnification. Maybe 10µm in diameter as a rough estimate.