Avam

These two bones were found at the beach yesterday in Santa Barbara. Any clue who they belong to :) ? Thank you 

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

Posted (edited)

The one on the right is just about 10.8 inches long 

Edited by Avam

These are modern bones, correct?

Moved to GENERAL DISCUSSION. 

Looks like a bird ulna (maybe??) on the left, and some sort of rib on the right.

@Harry Pristis  @Shellseeker  @MarcoSr  @Auspex

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The one on the left is a bird humerus and I assume also that it is recent.  You can tell its a humerus by the subdued S shape to it, the larger femoral head, and the round knobs on the smaller end.  Based on the figures (and size) in Gilbert, et al's Avian Osteology, it seems to fit best with something like a cormorant (Phalacrocorax).  I have a Turkey Vulture and Loon to compare to and it is not either of those.  I'm estimating the length based on what we were told for the bigger bone.  A more precise length and some better pictures of both ends might help to confirm an ID.

Rib is as detailed as I can get on the larger one as well.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a bird ulna (maybe??) on the left, and some sort of rib on the right.

I agree with your astute diagnoses.

• Thank You 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On 1/3/2024 at 5:03 AM, Fossildude19 said:

I really can't add much more than what you have already stated, modern bones, with the left bone being bird.

Marco Sr.

• Thank You 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

22 hours ago, ClearLake said:

The one on the left is a bird humerus and I assume also that it is recent.  You can tell its a humerus by the subdued S shape to it, the larger femoral head, and the round knobs on the smaller end.  Based on the figures (and size) in Gilbert, et al's Avian Osteology, it seems to fit best with something like a cormorant (Phalacrocorax).  I have a Turkey Vulture and Loon to compare to and it is not either of those.  I'm estimating the length based on what we were told for the bigger bone.  A more precise length and some better pictures of both ends might help to confirm an ID.

Rib is as detailed as I can get on the larger one as well.

I agree... bird humerus, but just to keep folks honest... a femoral head is found on a femur.  The humerus has... a humeral head.   : )

I'm sure that was an oversight, but just so others learn the correct terms.  

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

bird humerus, but just to keep folks honest... a femoral head is found on a femur.  The humerus has... a humeral head.   : )

Oops, my bad. I probably read my typing three times before I posted it and still did not catch that. Haha. Thanks for reading!!

I will check a bit later and see with the new pictures and info if I can improve an ID on the humerus. 

• Enjoyed 1