is this a great white? (c. carcharias) because I don't think so!

Metopolychas

Just went to the natural history museum and found these in the display. I REALLY don't think this is great white shark? Might be in the same line (Otodus seems very similar) but I'd rather check with you guys before I ask the museum if they're sure that's what it is, lol.

20240105_152309.jpg

I thought so, they're extremely similar to one in my own collection. Maybe I'll write a mail to the museum then, its surprisingly annoying to me that they seem to have mislabelled it!

• Enjoyed 1

Whoops! I thought for starters that sometimes names like “white shark” get used for paleo lamniformes species. But they have the great white species and genus, but an age of 50 million l!

Just 47 million years too early for true great whites that didn’t evolve their current dentition design until about 2.5 mya! 

• I found this Informative 2

Yeah! Great whites are in the same family(?) Class(?) But I still feel it's wrong to call them GWs... I'm.gonna send them an ask or mail or something, just gotta figure out how to word it XD

I once heard a tour guide at a huge museum refer to Dimetrodon as a mammal.

Not a relative of or an ancestor to mammals, but a straight up mammal.

Now much like this I can kinda see where the mistake was made along the way, but the point is even museums can make mistakes sometimes.

• I Agree 1

I was at a museum in NC where they had a cow shark lower tooth on display, which of course has multiple cusps/cones. They were calling it a fossil shark jaw.

Edited by shark57
Typo
  • Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, Metopolychas said:

Yeah! Great whites are in the same family(?) Class(?) But I still feel it's wrong to call them GWs... I'm.gonna send them an ask or mail or something, just gotta figure out how to word it XD

They're all in the Lamniform order. Of course that order also includes sand tigers, threshers, megamouths as well as a wide assortment of extinct species like the Ginsu Shark. Exactly how closely related the Great White is to Otodus and it's descendant Megalodon is still up for debate. Taxonomically they're about as closely related as cats and dogs who share the same order (Carnivora).

7 hours ago, Metopolychas said:

Same order Lamniformes = Mackerel sharks. 

Great white belongs to family Lamnidae and

O. obliquus in family Otodintidae.

• I found this Informative 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.