Turimetta Headland Australia - Triassic Plant ID

Psittacosaur9

Hello everyone!

A couple of weeks ago, I traveled to Turimetta Beach, a Triassic fossil locality in the Sydney Basin. I found several plant fossils. Some were too fragmentary for ID, but if possible I would like to know people's opinions on the ID of these three. I've read through previous forum posts and am aware these might not be able to be ID'ed.

Fossil plate which I found as a rockfall near Turimetta Headland.
image.thumb.jpeg.513439cf04a7cf41373463099108093f.jpeg

A relatively large stem which was found in the same rockfall.

image.thumb.jpeg.46416926bef04c21a0f707a0418aaaca.jpeg

A small leaf I found at an outcrop on the beach itself.

image.thumb.jpeg.6e9011c04f9953b5ffbc3c7f9f3e3c77.jpeg

Thanks for any possible help!

• Enjoyed 2

Maybe Phyllotheca sp. ?

@Paleoworld-101  @izak_

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Maybe Phyllotheca sp. ?

@Paleoworld-101  @izak_

13 hours ago, izak_ said:

I see Phyllotheca in the first photo, not sure what the others could be... 

Thank you, I thought that might be the case but I wanted to be sure.

I thought for a long time that the horsetails at Turimetta were Phyllotheca but i now believe this genus is actually restricted to the Permian. So what the common ones at Turimetta are i am no longer certain, although Paraschizoneura jonesii was described based on Turimetta material and may be it:

https://media.australian.museum/media/Uploads/Journals/17902/1320_complete.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

12 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

I thought for a long time that the horsetails at Turimetta were Phyllotheca but i now believe this genus is actually restricted to the Permian. So what the common ones at Turimetta are i am no longer certain, although Paraschizoneura jonesii was described based on Turimetta material and may be it:

https://media.australian.museum/media/Uploads/Journals/17902/1320_complete.pdf

Thanks for sharing the paper. My specimens look similar to Paraschizoneura jonesii, but I am not certain of their identity as one of them seems to have 8 conjoined leaves, while the paper specifies the species has 4 to 7. They look vaguely like Townroviamites brookvalensis, but look closer to Paraschizoneura jonesii. Should I label it as cf.  Paraschizoneura jonesii?

3 hours ago, Psittacosaur9 said:

Thanks for sharing the paper. My specimens look similar to Paraschizoneura jonesii, but I am not certain of their identity as one of them seems to have 8 conjoined leaves, while the paper specifies the species has 4 to 7. They look vaguely like Townroviamites brookvalensis, but look closer to Paraschizoneura jonesii. Should I label it as cf.  Paraschizoneura jonesii?

I think that's a fair ID, pending confirmation from more recent literature that discusses the Newport Formation material. 

• Thank You 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas