TX Cretaceous Aguja Formation dentary ID

JamieLynn

Howdy all! I have this little dentary plate that I am uncertain as to ID. It is from the Aguja formation from West Texas, Brewster County. It is aprox 1/8 inch. I have looked in all the papers I have and can't find any images that match it.  It doesn't seem to match up with the two salamanders that are found in the Aguja, but it definitely seems to be an amphibian tooth plate I think. Any thoughts? @ThePhysicist tagging you since you also do lots of micro Aguja stuff....

UnknownAguja(19)_edited.thumb.jpg.1b6c8c59ce75655cc4e8a8473ac0f5b4.jpg

UnknownAguja(20)_edited.thumb.jpg.37b6a72612d635406695f31cb39fba31.jpg

UnknownAguja(21)_edited.thumb.jpg.1a466a70a6ca0a6dd1b1ba2055d10121.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

• JamieLynn changed the title to TX Cretaceous Aguja Formation dentary ID

the second photo looks kind of fishy with what looks like whole surface of possible teeth.  Mystery Aguja micros should also be compared to any of the other late Cret formations in the American west.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Not frog, note the single tooth row with pleurodont attachment in the above diagram. As the others mentioned, the jaw in question is a bony fish, very similar to those of teleosts I've found in Hell Creek. 

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff