Keichousaurus with amethyst crystals growing?

Brevicollis

I have this Keichousaurus in my collection. It has a weird purple spot in his chest what looks like amethist to me . If it really is , how rare are cristaliced skeletons ?

( Sorry if the photos are not  the greatest , i've tried my best photographing it )

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20240114_201150.jpg

IMG_20240114_202659.jpg

IMG_20240114_201340.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20240114_201357.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are good signatures really that important ?

never seen, you are sure this are crystals? Not impossible, why not. Have seen some Keichous with crystals at breaking-lines, but never in this size and color

• I found this Informative 2

Im sure , those are cristals . Maybe its Like with some ammonites : when it died , his lungs we're filled with gas which led to a cavity we're those cristals began to grow . In ammonites, its mostly calcite in their buoyancy chabers but maybe theres a slim chance that amethist grew in this Keichousaurus's lungs .

I could be wrong , its just a theory . I want to hear your ideas / theorys what it could be, too .

Thanks ! 

• Kane changed the title to Keichousaurus with amethyst crystals growing?

None of these photos, even when enlarged, are close to being sharp enough to be able to make out the form of the crystals you say you are observing, so until you are able to place some clear and sharp magnifications of them, an identification is not possible. If it is a mineral, then I don't think it could be amethyst, since that doesn't tend to occur in the sort of environment where this fossil was imbedded, but I am however thinking of vivianite, a hydrated iron phosphate mineral which can have this color and can also be built where organic substance was available. Can you please tell us what the provenance of this fossil is?

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It was found in Xingyi , Guizhou , China .

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

None of these photos, even when enlarged, are close to being sharp enough to be able to make out the form of the crystals you say you are observing, so until you are able to place some clear and sharp magnifications of them, an identification is not possible. If it is a mineral, then I don't think it could be amethyst, since that doesn't tend to occur in the sort of environment where this fossil was imbedded, but I am however thinking of vivianite, a hydrated iron phosphate mineral which can have this color and can also be built where organic substance was available. Can you please tell us what the provenance of this fossil is?

It was found in Xingyi , Gouizhou , China .

If this is a genuine part of the fossil, my guess would be fluorite. I have seen microscopic cubes of fluorite in thin sections of Keichousaurus specimens, so it might be possible there are macroscopic examples of this. So nothing unheard of, but certainly an interesting specimen!

• I found this Informative 4

27 minutes ago, PaleoStories said:

If this is a genuine part of the fossil, my guess would be fluorite. I have seen microscopic cubes of fluorite in thin sections of Keichousaurus specimens, so it might be possible there are macroscopic examples of this. So nothing unheard of, but certainly an interesting specimen!

Hi Xaver. That was quick! Nice to see you contributing here now. It would also be nice if you would introduce yourself here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/