Where/How are Keichousaurus found?

makias

There's tons of images of all kind of Keichousaurus specimens online, but I couldn't find a single image/video of where do they find them or how are they extracted.

Does anybody know where this kind of material can be found?

Disclaimer: It is common knowledge that most (?) Keichousaurus are found in China, the question doesn't go in that direction.

Mount Langmu, Dazhai Village, Dingxiao, Xingy County, Guizhou Province. Sorry, I don't have pictures from there.
Collection: Dahai village, Dingxiao town, Xingyi County Xingyi County, Qianxinan, Guizhou, China (mindat.org)

Another location is Nimaigu village, Xingyi City (Huangcaoba), near the Yunnan border in southwest Guizhou.
Collection: Nimaigu Village Xingyi County, Qianxinan, Guizhou, China (mindat.org)

There is a picture of the quarry in Tintori et al. 2011: A NEW “FLYING” FISH FROM THE UPPER LADINIAN (MIDDLE TRIASSIC) OF WUSHA (GUIZHOU PROVINCE, SOUTHERN CHINA). PDF:A NEW “FLYING” FISH FROM THE UPPER.pdf

But they seem to occur also in Myanmar:
app005942019 (pan.pl)

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 6

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

@oilshale thanks a lot!, what's shown on the PDF is exactly what I wanted to get a glimpse of, even though it is not directly related to a Keichousaurus.

• I found this Informative 1

In Nimaigu (= Wusha), Thoracopterus was found in bed 42 to 47, the main Keichousaurus bearing interval in this quarry is from bed 26 to 35.

Quote from Tintri et al. 2011, p. 40:  "Over 300 reptilian remains as well as dozens of fishes have been so far collected in the 28 units (layer 26 to layer 53) of the 5.5 m-thick vertebrate-bearing section".  

That was the situation more than 10 years ago.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

And this is how most of these poor creatures are "prepared" - with a rotary grinder!

prepingkeichousaur2.thumb.jpg.0517e949c40c81a799664afd0980be6d.jpg

prepingkeichousaur1.thumb.jpg.b7c3887ea7d8fd0acbd702f3c79b93b2.jpg

prepingkeichousaur4.thumb.jpg.08cc19edeb93c42c15ee64189de44e6d.jpg

prepingkeichousaur3.thumb.jpg.da475bfac4e0da07117b21b0a4c46062.jpg

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 7

Most of them have been done like this, with a rotary grinder. Some had been done with airpens, but last years you can see more and more prepared with airbraisive

they sometimes have incredible condition..