Shellseeker

Went hunting yesterday.  We have had a lot of rain and the Peace River is 3-4 feet too deep but it has been dropping and just due to withdrawal symptoms,  we decided to try one of the streams that might have some low spots. 

IMG_4845ce.thumb.jpg.863be7128a8126cf1032baae7750a970.jpgThe lighter colors tell you these are from a stream.  That is a dugong rib segment upper right, mostly small shark teeth,  a couple of Meg Frags, chunk of Mammoth plate, puffer fish mouth plate bottom. 

A Beluga periotic made my day.  They are far rarer than Megalodons.. Only my 2nd in 15 years... the 1st was October 2021.

2024Jan25th_Beluga_periotic.jpg.20a8c91a765b8bc25f4209a3858ed8ee.jpg

There are other notable finds:

A very small dolphin tooth (I will try to identify it,  just based on size likely a small river dolphin).

A Sawfish rostral tooth and then what I am trying to get identified.. a 31 millemeter enamel fragment with a unique tip.

IMG_4856ce.thumb.jpg.9ac5de80b9211812fb4592d832794645.jpg

Additional Photos...IMG_4852ce.thumb.jpg.64836c928d56ac1242e9d4b7942b71fc.jpgIMG_4853ce.thumb.jpg.c927d1446a66a99dcec40ccc79f15323.jpg

IMG_4854ce.thumb.jpg.21a8f427df06ef4466f30e1f48a8e0fe.jpg

IMG_4855ce.thumb.jpg.93970ae23b10a0f21a569656fa3c1f52.jpg

This last photo of what I thought was the root end seems to have a chewing surface like enamel, so the "tip" above might be the end of a tooth root ???

IMG_7509.png.c4c52375206d98a1052baabe73bab8a1.png

This may be obvious and I'll :DOH: but I have seen LOTS of broken enamel over 15 years.  For example, that very thin broken enamel is similar to broken horse teeth,  but I have not seen a tip that looks like this one on any Bone Valley tooth. 

All suggestions greatly appreciated.   Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Got out and went hunting! Jack will not be kept home.

Making me consider finding a used kayak so I can access the upper sections of the creeks when the river stays up like this. 

Love the beluga find! That’s a tough one to catch in the rocks. Wonder if you’re the first to discover it? 

Mystery “tooth” made me think of some kind of  incisor situation.  similar to how deer incisors kinda stack together sideways. Those have kinda distinct roots though. So maybe this is a worn canine?  Just thinking that because predator canines have that nice tapered root. 

If the chewing surface is the thin enamel and worn dentine side. It’s a little worn down a lot by now. ‘Old in the tooth’?

Off to lead a Webelo overnight 🥴😁

Excited to see if this “tooth” takes you for an ID ride. 

Appreciate Jacks adventures when nobody else dares!!

Jp

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

and then what I am trying to get identified.. a 31 millemeter enamel fragment with a unique tip.

Could it be a rootlet from a mammoth tooth? The pointy end could be the bottom of the root.

59 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Could it be a rootlet from a mammoth tooth? The pointy end could be the bottom of the root.

Thank you,  

I had considered and discarded, based on width of the enamel,  and the fact that I have seen plenty of broken Mammoth roots but never this Tip.  I just went to the internet to search for Mammoth roots and came up mostly empty..  None of the huge number of teeth actually have a photo of an unbroken tip...  My photo may be unique.  

Flagging @digit who is connected or helping dig at Montbrook where they are finding Mammoths and Gomphotheres.  We might get a chance to check for un_broken roots and what the tips look like.

Also,  the single mammal fossil I did find was part of a Mammoth Plate... Maybe there is more of this fossil where I was digging.. 

IMG_4919.thumb.JPG.5d878035f13d7676c4559493f9d61984.JPG

IMG_4921.thumb.JPG.f48f80db207399afb963294bcd20be94.JPG

Finally , the "bumpy" enamel on the non _ tip end may match the broken edge on the photo above... 

We'll see what Ken says,  but I am leaning your way.  No surprise that I do not recognize the tip,  Jack

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"