Australia, QLD

Krono4822

welcome to TFF!

Did you find the fossil you show yourself? Nice aspiration-fish, I love this 

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the Forum

Stunning fossil ! 

• Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Nice aspiration plate. 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome!

• Thank You 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

I agree with the others, this is a nice example of an aspiration fossil.

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome from Illinois.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 1/30/2024 at 8:45 PM, rocket said:

welcome to TFF!

Did you find the fossil you show yourself? Nice aspiration-fish, I love this 

No I didn't find this one myself, I work for a marine reptile fossil museum in Richmond QLD called Kronosaurus Korner you can find us on Facebook. This was found at our public fossil hunting site. 

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Whoa! Learn something new. Aspiration fossils are rad!

does aspiration apply to only fish/prey or could it be other species too? Online it just appears to be fish…

Jp

Edit: just occurred to me the aspiration of the prey might be what kills the fish. Hence finding this with ,I’m assuming, mostly fossil fish??

Edited by Balance

46 minutes ago, Krono4822 said:

No I didn't find this one myself, I work for a marine reptile fossil museum in Richmond QLD called Kronosaurus Korner you can find us on Facebook. This was found at our public fossil hunting site. 

Welcome.  About 10 years ago I considered applying for an opening at the Kronosaurus Korner.  But I was gainfully employed already, but a paleo job in Australia was very appealing.  I spent 6 months in coastal QLD back in '89.... love your country.   And you have a public fossil site??!! 

1 hour ago, Krono4822 said:

I work for a marine reptile fossil museum in Richmond QLD called Kronosaurus Korner you can find us on Facebook. This was found at our public fossil hunting site. 

oh, wow, what a great place to work. Just checked the website, very cool!

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Krono4822 said:

Welcome to the forum

been meaning to go up there and check it out 

Edited by Josh_irving
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Josh_irving said:

Welcome to the forum

been meaning to go up there and check it out 

Honestly one of our volunteers pulled 3 fossil fish out all within arms reach of each other... check out the post on Facebook definitely worth a trip

20 hours ago, rocket said:

oh, wow, what a great place to work. Just checked the website, very cool!

Feel like my mind is being blown daily!  Such a unique niche of fossils for Australia on display here. Very proud to be a part of it all.

• Enjoyed 2

21 hours ago, jpc said:

Welcome.  About 10 years ago I considered applying for an opening at the Kronosaurus Korner.  But I was gainfully employed already, but a paleo job in Australia was very appealing.  I spent 6 months in coastal QLD back in '89.... love your country.   And you have a public fossil site??!! 

Oh wow! Small world! You could have been my boss! Haha. Yes there are two designated spots for public fossil hunting and then special areas from private landholders that allow private dig groups access. We have some of the most incredible specimens... two species I'm not allowed to talk about yet! Should be released in April I'm so excited to see the publics reaction on its release.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

21 hours ago, Balance said:

Whoa! Learn something new. Aspiration fossils are rad!

does aspiration apply to only fish/prey or could it be other species too? Online it just appears to be fish…

Jp

Edit: just occurred to me the aspiration of the prey might be what kills the fish. Hence finding this with ,I’m assuming, mostly fossil fish??

We have some pretty incredible chimaeroid, ammonite, ichtyosaur, elasmosaur, kronosaurus, pliosaur and the list goes on... quiet a few of them are the only known of its kind in the world. Fish is common find still exciting but pterosaur has probably been some of the most exciting finds of late. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

I do hope to get back to Oz someday.  If I do, I will be visiting your place.  

• Thank You 1