Howdy all,

This is a lepidodendrale (Lepidodendron?) stigmaria that my Dad found in Knob Noster, Missouri way back when he was in high school.

His memory isn't too straight since he found it so long ago and I'm curious what formation this may be from and if it would even be from Missouri.

20240203_134429.jpg

20240203_134437.jpg

20240203_134445.jpg

20240203_134451.jpg

20240203_134502.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Congrats on a spectacular Stigmaria from Knob Noster! happy0144.gif

"Knob Noster (Johnson Country, Missouri) is a relatively new Pennsylvanian site uncovered in 1990 containing a flora and fauna preserved within ironstone concretions (Hannibal et al. 2003). Its fossil assemblage was found to be similar in composition to the Windsor and Braidwood of Mazon Creek sites. The concretions were found to originate from either the delta area or the estuary area while the plants were represented by the foliage of ferns, stems, seeds, cones and the trunks of arborescent plants. Investigations of this site are in progress and could potentially yield new findings."

text from:

Pacyna, G., Zdebska, D. 2012

Carboniferous Plants Preserved within Sideritic Nodules: A Remarkable State of Preservation Providing a Wealth of Information.

Acta Palaeobotanica, 52(2):247-269  PDF LINK

Hannibal J.T., Keiper J.B., Lemay S., Mckenzie, S. 2003

Knob Noster: A New Upper Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian) Lagerstätte in Missouri Containing Millipeds

(Diplopoda), Insects, Crustaceans, Vertebrates, Plants and other Terrestrial and Brackish Water Organisms.

Geological Society of America, North-Central Section: 37th Annual Meeting, Session 22:6, Paper: 50110  LINK

from my collection:

Hemimylacris clintoniana – Pennsylvanian – Knob Noster Formation, Missouri

image.png.b0921e549bff62aa6dcb02a7274aa49c.png

• I found this Informative 7
  • Thank You 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I don't think Stigmaria can be identified to the genus level. I believe the term is used for all arborescent Lycophytes. 

36 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I don't think Stigmaria can be identified to the genus level. I believe the term is used for all arborescent Lycophytes. 

Stigmaria is the commonly applied term to these specimens with circular scars and generally known as a 'form' genus.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank you for posting!  I never realized that iron-stone concretions were so close to where I'm at.  Your Lycophytes EDIT: Stigmaria  is very nice!

Maybe sometime I can check out Knob Noster and find myself a few of those concretions :)

Edited by Jaybot
Thanks to piranha for the correction!
  • Enjoyed 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Yes, I'm aware of that. I typically just call it lepidodendron because it's easier to remember, as it's a bit of a household name. Though, I understand it isn't very professional.

• Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, Jaybot said:

Thank you for posting!  I never realized that iron-stone concretions were so close to where I'm at.  Your Lycophytes is very nice!

Maybe sometime I can check out Knob Noster and find myself a few of those concretions :)

I appreciate the compliment, friend.

7 hours ago, piranha said:

"Knob Noster (Johnson Country, Missouri) is a relatively new Pennsylvanian site uncovered in 1990 containing a flora and fauna preserved within ironstone concretions (Hannibal et al. 2003). Its fossil assemblage was found to be similar in composition to the Windsor and Braidwood of Mazon Creek sites. The concretions were found to originate from either the delta area or the estuary area while the plants were represented by the foliage of ferns, stems, seeds, cones and the trunks of arborescent plants. Investigations of this site are in progress and could potentially yield new findings."

text from:

Carboniferous Plants Preserved within Sideritic Nodules: A Remarkable State of Preservation Providing a Wealth of Information.

Knob Noster: A New Upper Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian) Lagerstätte in Missouri Containing Millipeds

(Diplopoda), Insects, Crustaceans, Vertebrates, Plants and other Terrestrial and Brackish Water Organisms.

Geological Society of America, North-Central Section: 37th Annual Meeting, Session 22:6, Paper: 50110  LINK

from my collection:

Same to you.

22 hours ago, piranha said:

text from:

from my collection:

Here's another stigmaria Dad found in Knob Noster, as well as a Calamites leaf nodule.

20240203_170536.jpg

20240203_170445.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

57 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Annularia nice one. 

I'm genuinely curious about this. To my knowledge, Annularia is a form taxon refering to several different species in the genus calamites. Am I correct on that?

Also, I greatly appreciate the compliment. 😀

9 hours ago, Fullux said:

I'm genuinely curious about this. To my knowledge, Annularia is a form taxon refering to several different species in the genus calamites. Am I correct on that?

Also, I greatly appreciate the compliment. 😀

:Confused05: Sorry, it just happens to be one that I've collected so I know the look by that name. It seems quite possible that species are designated by reproductive structures, and thus a form genus is used for the leaves. 

• I Agree 1