Reccomendation for trilobite collection.

ruminate

Hello everyone! Especially the experienced trilobite collector

I need some reccomendations for my trilobite collection, kinda like what trilobite i should get and some demanding trilobite i should know and have in my collection.:D

Trilobites are like Pokémon.

You got to catch them all!

:default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

There is far too many to catch them all! One would go broke, sad, or mad before they could accomplish that goal in my opinion.

I think your question is somewhat arbitrary, though. It depends really what is of interest to you, personally I think.

I myself like to collect North America trilobites of all kinds, but I would much rather find my own specimens than purchase or trade for one. Personally, I think you should collect whatever you like!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Buy some trips and find them yourself. Not the cheapest, but the most valuable, in my opinion.

• I Agree 4

Oh welp i live in a country with basically no fossils beside the cenozoic ones. Im trying to go for the morrocan trilobites

Dicranurus,walliserops,koneprusia,heliopeltis looks eye catching to me:rolleyes:

Have a look online and see what types you fancy. 

Trilobites are a very diverse group. 

I have a few common Trilos in my collection. 

But this is a rabbit hole I do not want to go down :DOH:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

I would start with common ones and move to rarer ones later.

US Elrathia kingi is good starter trilobite.

And Moroccan Morocops, Hollardops etc are really nice too.

With rarer ones you really need to know what you are buying.

But of course if you already have collection, its an different story.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

No one can or should tell you what you "must" have to build a decent trilobite collection. It's not like trilobite connoisseurs like myself are going to your house to evaluate whether or not you can join our elite club,. and then storming out when we don't see an Eldredgeops rana or some-such. :D 

It takes time (and money) to build a decent collection, and all that matters is if you are happy with it. When starting out, it will be relatively easy and inexpensive to get some of the more common species, but over time as your desire for more and different species grows, so too will the cost. There is no doubt I spend thousands every year on the critters, either through purchase or in going to remote areas to collect them. There is scarcely a surface in my house that doesn't have trilobites on it. :P 

As your collection grows, you may start to lean toward specializing in terms of location or taxonomic order. You may find yourself preferring some trilobites over others. For instance, I'm not as keen on agnostids if I have a choice between those and an asaphid. 

You can approach it in one of two ways. You can buy inexpensive ones that are of lesser quality and be content with that until you want to "upgrade" them, or you can buy right the first time. Neither approach is better than the other, as it comes down to your goals and your budget. Ultimately, the very best trilobite collection is the one you personally enjoy. You can have five scrappy common trilobites or five hundred exquisite pieces, but no one should tell you what makes a great collection as it is truly a personal taste. At the end of the day, you are the proud owner of something that lived hundreds of millions of years ago. :dinothumb::trilo:

• I Agree 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, Kane said:

No one can or should tell you what you "must" have to build a decent trilobite collection. It's not like trilobite connoisseurs like myself are going to your house to evaluate whether or not you can join our elite club,. and then storming out when we don't see an Eldredgeops rana or some-such. :D 

It takes time (and money) to build a decent collection, and all that matters is if you are happy with it. When starting out, it will be relatively easy and inexpensive to get some of the more common species, but over time as your desire for more and different species grows, so too will the cost. There is no doubt I spend thousands every year on the critters, either through purchase or in going to remote areas to collect them. There is scarcely a surface in my house that doesn't have trilobites on it. :P 

As your collection grows, you may start to lean toward specializing in terms of location or taxonomic order. You may find yourself preferring some trilobites over others. For instance, I'm not as keen on agnostids if I have a choice between those and an asaphid. 

You can approach it in one of two ways. You can buy inexpensive ones that are of lesser quality and be content with that until you want to "upgrade" them, or you can buy right the first time. Neither approach is better than the other, as it comes down to your goals and your budget. Ultimately, the very best trilobite collection is the one you personally enjoy. You can have five scrappy common trilobites or five hundred exquisite pieces, but no one should tell you what makes a great collection as it is truly a personal taste. At the end of the day, you are the proud owner of something that lived hundreds of millions of years ago. :dinothumb::trilo:

Thanks alot Kane, really motivated me hope this journey goes well:thumbsu:

Don't know if you have seen it. Go to the "Members Collection" forum. Top thread is Trilobite of the week. It has hundreds of different species. You can get a great idea of just how many species there are.

• Enjoyed 1