Newbie Looking For Kamp Ranch

NBRiley

Hi folks!

I'm relatively new to the Dallas area (about 4 years now) and very new to rockhounding/fossil hunting. I've done some of the basic hunting in the fossil parks, but I'm looking to branch out and find new things. I keep seeing the Atco and Kamp Ranch names thrown around, but I have no idea how to actually locate them. I understand that they are part of larger formations, but as someone who doesn't have any training in natural sciences I'm not really sure where to look. The few times I've attempted to find somewhere off the beaten path I've been unsuccessful at finding anything besides calcite. If anyone is willing to share any helpful hints or trusty references I would appreciate it!

Join the Dallas Paleontological Society; they can show you what the formations look like. 

Use the map of Texas geology and find the Eagle Ford Formation, Kef. Find the white limestones of the Austin Formation then go down section toward the Woodbine Formation toward the west. The  Kamp Ranch layer is the thickest hard layer in the middle of the Eagle Ford; it is yellowish and usually full of fossils. 

To find the Atco and fossil rich upper Eagle Ford look around the Austin and Eagle Ford contact. Creeks and rivers where you can clearly see the rocks are good places to look.

Use Google Earth to help find the Kamp Ranch. You can often see the hard slabs.

https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/

IMG_0128.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 4
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Welcome to the forum!  I have to second what @DPS Ammonite said about joining the Dallas Paleo Society.  It s a good way to meet people interested in the same stuff and they run field trips, some of which specifically target the Atco in local quarries.  Beyond that, yes, it is chasing down the zone of interest based on geologic maps and Google maps as well as reading publications and websites that list locations on those particular zones.  Some of the old publications are great for a long list of locations, you just often have to translate it to modern circumstances to see if it still exists and is accessible.  Happy hunting!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Welcome to the forum!  I have to second what @DPS Ammonite said about joining the Dallas Paleo Society.  It s a good way to meet people interested in the same stuff and they run field trips, some of which specifically target the Atco in local quarries.  Beyond that, yes, it is chasing down the zone of interest based on geologic maps and Google maps as well as reading publications and websites that list locations on those particular zones.  Some of the old publications are great for a long list of locations, you just often have to translate it to modern circumstances to see if it still exists and is accessible.  Happy hunting!

Do you have suggestions on what publications to look into aside from the ones on the DPS website?

I doubt these count as "trusty references" but here is a well known paper on Atco sharks teeth.  It lists four locations in the Methods section, three of which are no longer available.  I send it because you can look where those construction sites were and maybe (?) come up with something nearby that is accessible.  Its a start.

https://www.academia.edu/6137340/Early_Coniacian_Late_Cretaceous_Selachian_Fauna_from_the_Basal_Atco_Formation_Lower_Austin_Group_North_Central_Texas

Here is another example:

https://www.academia.edu/4673372/Late_Cretaceous_strata_and_vertebrate_fossils_of_North_Texas

Lots of google searching will undoubtedly turn up more examples.  Also, make sure to read posts here on the forum that mention Atco or Kamp, I know you will find lots of them, there may be tidbits of info in some of them.  You are unlikely to find a modern treasure trove listing of all the great Atco sites as people tend to not divulge such info for fear of over-collection.  Sometimes it takes some time and persistence, best of luck!!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

If I can add something... I'd also ask myself, "what would I like to find?" Texas is huge! Down here along the coast we have material from all of the great beast of the last Ice Age. Up there in the Dallas area has marine material, west Texas is probably different material from a different time. That Geological map is very helpful. Maybe daytrips or weekend adventures can take you to a different time period of material you're hoping to find. Just my thought.

• Enjoyed 1