I am stoked (Isotelus find!)!!

Newbie_1971

So I  got out of work early yesterday and headed off in hopes to find a few trilobites. I started off by finding a flexicalymene,  and another. Then it happened! I  found a fraction of an isotelus! I was stoked and ready to head home! On my way back to my vehicle I figured that I  would look for more. I  stopped and stared up the slope and out of the cornet of my eye I spot it staring out towards me! I  quickly and carefully remove it from the ground, which made me even more stoked! Here are a few photos!

20240209_154449.jpg

20240209_160526.jpg

20240209_182137.jpg

20240209_203650.jpg

20240209_203635.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 34

Wow, stunning find! The color, size, condition are amazing! Congratulations!  

• Thank You 1

Phenomenal find!

Congratulations!

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! That is a stupendous find, well earned from your many excursions and thorough and patient searching. Big congrats. 

• Thank You 1

Awesome! Super jealous here. I knew you had a great little spot based on what you were finding to start. Can’t wait to see that cleaned up the last little bit. 

• Thank You 1

What a great find! Congrats! :yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Absolutely great find! :yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

13 hours ago, Isotelus2883 said:

Interesting absence of genal spines.

What type of trilobite would you say it was by the absence of the genal spines?

In most Isotelus species, the genal spines are lost as it matures, so the presence or absence of genal spines is not strongly indicative of a species as opposed to its stage of development and age.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The triangular and not broken appearance of the rear makes me want to beleive its isotelus gigas, as Maximus tends to have the clearly visible genal spines if I remember correctly. Either way, killer find! 
Kane brings up a valid point as well, because if it was new growth from a molt it may not have the genal spines in tact due to timing as well. 
my opinion though is Isotelus Gigas :) 

Edited by snakebite6769
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

I have found 4 partials in the area we are talking about and all of them have what appears to be the same genal spines. I  figured it was a different species?

20231207_145310.jpg

Thank you Kane! Also thank you to everyone who congratulated me! You really don't know how much it is appreciated it! I  am stoked about finding it, and about sharing it with you guys!

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 7:11 PM, Isotelus2883 said:

:envy:What a beauty.

Thank you! I  really appreciate it. Now I  need to find something else interesting. I have been out but all I have found of interest if you feel that way, are flexicalymene.... as well as partials of other trilobites. I  have my eyes open for some others though!