identify the Mosasaurid tooth

HunterLacrosse

Hi, guys!

I got a Mosasaur tooth from (Ouled Abdoun Basin?), Oued Zem Morocco, but I'm not sure what species it belongs to.

Can anyone help me to identify it?

CH: 4.2 cm

CBW:1.8 cm

CBL: 2.4 cm

serrations: Yes

Thanks guys

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Mosasaurus beaugei maybe ? 

• Thank You 1

Are good signatures really that important ?

28 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

Mosasaurus beaugei maybe ? 

Hi Brevicolis

yeah, maybe it belongs to M.Beaugei, but I'm not sure. 

because the vertical ridges in the labial side are not clear, and the enamel surface appears to be very rounded and smooth.

17 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

Hallo Brevicolis

Ja, vielleicht gehört es M. Beaugei, aber ich bin mir nicht sicher. 

weil die vertikalen Grate auf der labialen Seite nicht klar sind und die Schmelzoberfläche sehr rund und glatt erscheint.

Your tooth seems to be very well preserved.

I have this mosasaurus beaugei jaw in my collection and would say the shape and sice of the teeth Match very well. Except your tooth is better preserved and prepped.

IMG_20240211_115116.jpg

IMG_20240211_115059.jpg

IMG_20240211_115641.jpg

Edited by Brevicolis
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Are good signatures really that important ?

7 minutes ago, Brevicolis said:

I have this mosasaurus beaugei jaw in my collection and would say the shape and sice of the teeth Match very well. Except your tooth is better preserved and prepped.

IMG_20240211_115116.jpg

IMG_20240211_115059.jpg

IMG_20240211_115641.jpg

cool! you got an awesome collection!

• Thank You 1

To my eyes, this looks more like prognathodon kind tooth like Thalassotitan atrox. (Or Eremiasaurus). Rather than M. beaugei.

Edited by North
  • Thank You 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

4 minutes ago, North said:

To my eyes, this looks more like prognathodon kind tooth like Thalassotitan atrox. (Or Eremiasaurus). Rather than M. beaugei.

Hi North

can i know the reasons why it could belong to prognathodon (e.g. Thalassotitan or Eremiasaurus). :b_idea:

14 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

Hi North

can i know the reasons why it could belong to prognathodon (e.g. Thalassotitan or Eremiasaurus). :b_idea:

Praefectus and Pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon could give better reply since they know better.

But Mosasaurus has twist on posterior carinae and tip curves inside the mouth.20240211_135616.thumb.jpg.e4192a5a4a614252f0d0a2c2802b405a.jpg20240211_135903.thumb.jpg.855d2cc8a149c41da1349d82ce988de1.jpg

Thalassotitan for example has round and blunt tooth. More designed for crushing (note coloring towards the tip). 20240211_140806.thumb.jpg.1592fb1aaa8fb695831d96345ed0d97e.jpg20240211_140758.thumb.jpg.199a2e905693d1bc5997e8af876fa79b.jpgBut teeth at the fron are more hooked than ones in a back. But rounder and straighter than Mosasaurus tooth. 20240211_140631.thumb.jpg.d1e602d6dc90d6b0f6d2836de8e25212.jpg

I don't have good Eremiasaurus tooth so can't say much about that.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, North said:

Praefectus and Pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon could give better reply since they know better.

But Mosasaurus has twist on posterior carinae and tip curves inside the mouth.20240211_135616.thumb.jpg.e4192a5a4a614252f0d0a2c2802b405a.jpg20240211_135903.thumb.jpg.855d2cc8a149c41da1349d82ce988de1.jpg

Thalassotitan for example has round and blunt tooth. More designed for crushing (note coloring towards the tip). 20240211_140806.thumb.jpg.1592fb1aaa8fb695831d96345ed0d97e.jpg20240211_140758.thumb.jpg.199a2e905693d1bc5997e8af876fa79b.jpgBut teeth at the fron are more hooked than ones in a back. But rounder and straighter than Mosasaurus tooth. 20240211_140631.thumb.jpg.d1e602d6dc90d6b0f6d2836de8e25212.jpg

I don't have good Eremiasaurus tooth so can't say much about that.

Thanks for your explanation, North.

I think I learned a lot :dinothumb:, although I'm not sure whether it's a M.beaugei or a prognathodon tooth:DOH:.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:55 AM, Brevicolis said:

IMG_20240211_115116.jpgIMG_20240211_115059.jpgIMG_20240211_115641.jpg

Unfortunately, those teeth aren't M. beaugei, as they lack the typical curvature seen in teeth of the Mosasaurus-genus, as well as the prismatic surfaces and facets that would identify them as M. beaugei. Much rather, they look like prognathodontine teeth, probably Thalassotitan atrox, even if the enamel towards their apex doesn't look particularly thickened. However, the thickened enamel is still present, and the carinae are pinched, which supports that identification.

On 2/11/2024 at 7:33 AM, HunterLacrosse said:

I got a Mosasaur tooth from (Ouled Abdoun Basin?), Oued Zem Morocco, but I'm not sure what species it belongs to.

Can anyone help me to identify it?

CH: 4.2 cm

CBW:1.8 cm

CBL: 2.4 cm

serrations: Yes

8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

This, to me, looks like Hainosaurus boubker, with its tertiary striae, subequal ovate cross-section, straight posterior carina and straight distal curvature of the anterior carina that starts two-thirds of the way up the crown.

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Unfortunately, those teeth aren't M. beaugei, as they lack the typical curvature seen in teeth of the Mosasaurus-genus, as well as the prismatic surfaces and facets that would identify them as M. beaugei. Much rather, they look like prognathodontine teeth, probably Thalassotitan atrox, even if the enamel towards their apex doesn't look particularly thickened. However, the thickened enamel is still present, and the carinae are pinched, which supports that identification.

This, to me, looks like Hainosaurus boubker, with its tertiary striae, subequal ovate cross-section, straight posterior carina and straight distal curvature of the anterior carina that starts two-thirds of the way up the crown.

Thanks Dr. Alex

what means the tertiary striae? :DOH:

I thought first tooth looked quite round, but perhaps I confused the angle in the pictures or something. 

But does it really have serrations? I would remember that H. boubker teeth did not have serrations when I read jnoun's guide.

• Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, HunterLacrosse said:

what means the tertiary striae? :DOH:

Tertiary striae are very fine striations typically found around the base of the tooth crown. They are the finest lines shown in the drawing on the left in below figure 3 from Hornung and Reich 2014.

17215281_hornungandreichfig.3mosasaurtoothornamentation.jpg.0705df3f518941474033ef76ac083a6c.jpg

3 hours ago, North said:

I thought first tooth looked quite round, but perhaps I confused the angle in the pictures or something.

Yeah, it can be tricky to identify teeth from photographs - or even video - because you may easily be misled when focusing on specific features to the detriment of others. In this case, I admit it's indeed hard to see, and I did hesitate between H. boubker and Eremiasaurus heterodontus, considering the prismatic nature of the base of the tooth crown and what, at first glance, indeed appears to be a rather rounded tooth.

3 hours ago, North said:

But does it really have serrations? I would remember that H. boubker teeth did not have serrations when I read jnoun's guide.

In a way that statement is true, as no mosasaur actually has serrations. However, teeth of H. boubker bear minute crenulations not typically observable without magnification. Hence, OP's statement that the tooth bears false serrations, yet them not showing in the photographs, supports them being diminutive...

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

15 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Tertiary striae are very fine striations typically found around the base of the tooth crown. They are the finest lines shown in the drawing on the left in below figure 3 from Hornung and Reich 2014.

17215281_hornungandreichfig.3mosasaurtoothornamentation.jpg.0705df3f518941474033ef76ac083a6c.jpg

Yeah, it can be tricky to identify teeth from photographs - or even video - because you may easily be misled when focusing on specific features to the detriment of others. In this case, I admit it's indeed hard to see, and I did hesitate between H. boubker and Eremiasaurus heterodontus, considering the prismatic nature of the base of the tooth crown and what, at first glance, indeed appears to be a rather rounded tooth.

In a way that statement is true, as no mosasaur actually has serrations. However, teeth of H. boubker bear minute crenulations not typically observable without magnification. Hence, OP's statement that the tooth bears false serrations, yet them not showing in the photographs, supports them being diminutive...

Thanks Dr.Alex

yeah, Indeed the serrations are very, very small, and it's usually hard to notice their presence. However, when illuminated from a specific angle, these tiny serrations can be observed. The last picture shows the enamel detail at the crown base in the labial side, which also requires additional lighting to be observed.

15.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, HunterLacrosse said:

yeah, Indeed the serrations are very, very small, and it's usually hard to notice their presence. However, when illuminated from a specific angle, these tiny serrations can be observed. The last picture shows the enamel detail at the crown base in the labial side, which also requires additional lighting to be observed.

15.jpg

14.jpg16.jpg

I agree, you do have minute crenulations and tertiary striations...

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Thank you for the clearence. Once again I learned something.

I do see these "serrations" on other teeth like M. beaugei, so I imagined H. boubker carinae being smooth with this statement.

• Enjoyed 1