Identification please

Mike Vick

Septarian concretion from the look of it.

• I Agree 3

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I'm curious about what the nucleus is? There's a white shell like layer surrounding the nucleus, followed by three separate outer crystalline layers. 

51 minutes ago, Mike Vick said:

I'm curious about what the nucleus is?

Mudstone by the looks of it, like the rest of the nodule matrix.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

I bet that most of it is a carbonate like calcite or aragonite. See if it fizzes in acid. 

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Difficult, to say the least!

The two grey blobs in the center could be inner molds of a half open bivalve, with the white stuff around it being some shell remnants.

Are there any bivalves of similar shape and size in that formation?

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Mike Vick said:

followed by three separate outer crystalline layers. 

I think this tends to contradict the shell idea in favor of multiple cycles in its formation precipitating different minerals. 

TOPICS MERGED.

One item per topic is enough.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The material surrounding the two "blobs" looks like a section through an inoceramid bivalve to me.  I think this is a bivalve in a septarian concretion.

As Kane said, better locality data would be helpful.  Canada is a very large place, and includes fossils of every age from Ediacarian to latest Pleistocene/Holocene. 

Don

• I found this Informative 2

I found it on a property we purchased in Castlegar BC amongst a bunch of other rocks and stones. I'm told that the previous owner was a geologist and a stone cutter. Other than that,I have no further information on the exact location unfortunately 😕 

• Thank You 1

A geologist huh,  that really expands the horizon from where it could have originated. It looks like a bivalve with calcite in a concretion in a septarian concretion to me.

On 2/11/2024 at 7:56 AM, Mike Vick said:

I'm curious about what the nucleus is? There's a white shell like layer surrounding the nucleus, followed by three separate outer crystalline layers. 

I would agree with the assessment that the nucleus is the steinkern of both shells of some type of bivalve. The white substances and crystalline layers are remnants of the original shell in my opinion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/