CRT cabinet display for space-challenged fossil collectors

ntloux

We had a CRT TV cabinet that was too small to hold our new flat screen TV.  No one wanted it so I decided to convert it into a fossil display cabinet.  The materials to make the conversion cost approximately $100.  Basically, I acquired a 2'x4' piece of pegboard and cut it into a 2'x2' center with two 1'x2' wings.  The pegboard frames were constructed of 3/4" pine ripped into 1" strips.  The pegboard frames were 1/8" less than the inside height of the cabinet opening.  The center was installed first and then the wings were attached to the center using 1/2" hinges that were first pre-attached to the wings.  Pegboard shelves were 1.5" to 2.25" wide strips of 5/8" cedar fence board that had holes drilled in to the back of the shelves on 2" centers (to hold the trimmed pegboard hooks).  Pegboard hooks were trimmed with bolt cutters to slightly less than the shelf width.  The cost of pegboard hooks can eat you alive but if you carefully search Amazon you can find 50 packs for ~$15 (6" hooks give you more room for play).  As you never have enough room, I constructed two additional 5/8" thick cedar ladders to go in front of the wings.  The display has lights but they glare in photographs.  Locks also can be found on Amazon.

Few things enliven my day like basking in the ambiance of my fossil collection.  I will be more than happy to provide more details about construction if desired.

20240215_105918.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Hey, now you've got your own fossil shrine! Lovely. I'd like to see it with the lights on even if they glare. Also closeups of the fossils if you haven't already posted them somewhere...

• Thank You 1

19 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Hey, now you've got your own fossil shrine! Lovely. I'd like to see it with the lights on even if they glare. Also closeups of the fossils if you haven't already posted them somewhere...

Agree. 

Nice cabinet. 

But how about some closeups ? 

Looks like you have some interesting specimens 

• Thank You 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Thank you.  I guess you could call it a shrine.  I have uploaded quite a few individual photos of the nicer specimens; I don't know if you can see them through a search for "ntloux".  Alternatively I have made posts on Ordovician bivalves and cephalopods as well as a number of uploads on Pennsylvanian/Carboniferous flora/cordaites.  I am uploading a new picture of the cabinet.  Thank you for your interest.

Nick

20240222_100653.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

That is terrific! and labels! I built something like what you have next to it. My neighbor had a woodmizer sawmill and had cut some oak for someone who never picked it up. So he just gave it to me! (he was moving) :^)

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

Thank you for the complement.  I am sure your oak cabinet is very, very fine.  My display is from an old TV cabinet that is too small for the larger flat screen TVs available today.