Help identifying fossil

Chickenuckles

5 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

This does not appear to me to be a shark tooth.

Sometimes translate programs don't work very well... He was trying to say that he found this when he was going on a shark tooth hunt. :)

• I Agree 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

13 minutes ago, Jaybot said:

Sometimes translate programs don't work very well... He was trying to say that he found this when he was going on a shark tooth hunt. :)

I just don't seem to be able to understand Newspeak :P

• Enjoyed 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The forum software asks for keywords when you post. Many new members don't know that us old timers don't often look for information in the keywords at the very top of the screen which is why it important to repeat that information in the body of the text. The more information given the better the quality of the replies.

I myself would like to see other views of this large (non-shark-tooth) object from different angles. The texture could be bone but I've seen weathered limestone caprock that has this texture as well. There might be some bilateral symmetry on this object (which would favor a large vertebra diagnosis) or it may be irregular when viewed from other angles which would put me in the weathered caprock camp. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

A few more photos would be helpful. I recall finding something like this on the Atlantic coast, maybe near Wilmington, NC long ago. By long ago ...like 20-30 years ago. Seems like it was compacted sand and could be easily eroded by rubbing it.  I just tossed it aside as it did not appear to have any recognizable shape to me. 

It looks like a somewhat worn cetacean caudal vertebra to me. 

Edited by shark57
Added a word.
  • I Agree 2

More photos would be welcome, but sea tossed cetacean bone seems a good fit for now, and likely modern.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I think cetacean bone as well.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Thanks for the other views. Definite (eroded) bone texture and symmetry. I agree with the others that it appears to be a cetacean vert.

Cheers.

-Ken