Pennsylvanian Cordaites specimens.

ntloux

I have found that illuminating photos of cordaites fossils are relatively hard to come by.  Hopefully these images will help to rectify the situation.  Photos 1 and 2 are of a Cordaites borassifolus Sternberg fossil from the middle Pennsylvanian in Upper Silesia, Poland.  I suspect that it is of the trunk and the nice, very fine striations are clearly evident in the close up (Photo2).  Photos 3and 4 are of cordaites leaf specimens from the Mazon Creek area that was identified by both helpful Forum members and me.  The close up of the Mazon Creek specimen (photo 4) clearly agrees with the literature in that they are strap like leaves, they do not have a prominent central vein and they do have equal, equally spaced veins.  The Mazon Creek leaves also appear to be on a branch and sigillarius leaves apparently do not.  Photos 5 and 6 are of a fossil from SW Pennsylvania that I have identified as a cordaites fossil.  As with the Mazon Creek specimen, it is strap like, it has no prominent central vein and the veins are equal and equally spaced.  The quality of the close up in Photo 6 is not the best and you might have better luck enlarging Photo 5.

Cordaites brassifolius Sternberg Westphalian B Upper Silesia Poland.jpg

Cordaites brassifolius Sternberg Westphalian B Upper Silesia Poland Inset.jpg

Cordaites Mazon Creek IL.jpg

Cordaites Penn Mazon Creek IL Inset.jpg

Cordaites SW PA.jpg

Cordaites SW PA Close up.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

The Mazon Creek leaves are Cyperites bicarinatus (lycopod leaves). It's a nice example of them clustering at the tips.

• I found this Informative 2

Connorp,  Thank you for the information.  Do you happen to have a good image of Cyperites bicarinatus?  I have found one on the internet that appears to have a strong central vein which is more common among lycopod leaves.  I have attempted to attach a very poor photo that I downloaded from the internet displaying this prominent central vein for this species.  The Mazon Creek specimen has no large central vein and instead has 4-5 equal, equally spaced veins (as is suggested for cordaites specimens).  I am having troubles with the image but I would very much like to resolve the issue. Cyperites bicarinatus.pdfCyperites bicarinatus.pdfCyperites bicarinatus.pdf

It appears that I have misidentified the "cordaites" fossils from SW PA in images 5 and 6.  I have reproduced the image here.  What I took to be damage to the fossil is more likely a "joint" between segments of a calamite fossil.  However, if it is a calamite then it differs greatly from my other calamite fossils (images 2, 3, and 4) in that it is less three dimensional and multiple "joints" in these other fossils occur at intervals of 0.75 to 2 times the width of the fossils. The fossil in image 1 has only one "joint".  Is the fossil in image 1 a calamite or a calamite of a species that differs from the other 3?  Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cordaites SW PA.jpg

CalamitePennKY1.jpg

CalamitePennKY2.jpg

CalamitePennAL.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

The double 'palmetto' arrangement of Cyperites leaves is really cool. These seem to be quite rare in the Pennsylvanian

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice specimens.:)

Thanks for sharing.

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png