Mark86

Did you find it under a statue or fountain? That’s one finger looking rock. Although more of an E.T. Vibe than human.  😁

• Enjoyed 3

I've seen a lot of concretions that have this elongated shape. Soft tissue does not fossilize like this and the resemblance (though quite remarkable) is merely Mother Nature having us on. Any fossil hunters who have hunted long enough find a wonderful variety of what we call "fakers". This one certainly belongs in a display case as an example of a pseudofossil (and not an actual fossil).

It is a rock of geologic origin (and not biologic) but nonetheless would be welcome in many of our display cases as a humorous example of the kind of things we find while hunting that make us go "Huh?". ;)

Thanks for sharing this wonderful pseudofossil with us.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Pictures from different angles would be more helpful.

Both ends. Straight on.

Top and bottom, from directly above the item. Sides from straight on as well.

3 pictures of the exact same angle  don't give us much to go on.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cool pseudofossil. Location would be useful to narrow down the rock type. Flint nodules from the Cretaceous Chalk often produce this sort of form and eventually acquire a similar looking white cortex but there's a myriad of other possibilities. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Tarquin