What is this fossil? Mammoth? Mastodon? Other? Specimen 2

Tom Carmichael

This fossil came out of Florida. I'm assuming mastodon or mammoth. Foot Bone? Your thoughts? Appears to have some smooth, flat surfaces as shown in the second pic. Thank you.

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

Could it be cranial to have that opening like a foramen?  Maybe a skull or jaw fragment?

Edited by johnnyvaldez7.jv

I think it is an ankle bone.. Metapodial,  Astragalus,   some thing like that... Mammoth/Mastodon size

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• Fossildude19 changed the title to What is this fossil? Mammoth? Mastodon? Other? Specimen 2

Based on the two four flat articular surfaces I see in the second photo, this is definitely a mammoth/mastodon wrist/ankle bone.  The hole in the first picture is am erosional product, as is the rough surface that dominates  that same picture.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

Looks like a magnum bone from a proboscidean to me.  I'll have to look more closely at my book at home to see if it's closer to Mammoth or mastodon, or you can try to look up examples and compare.

I have one quite similar that I’ve been calling a Proboscidean carpal

2 hours ago, garyc said:

I have one quite similar that I’ve been calling a Proboscidean carpal

carpal is close.  The carpals are the small bones in the wrist.  tarsals are the small bones in the ankle.  And this is one of those. 

I think I'm still in the magnum (carpal) camp.  Here are comparison photos from Olsen's Osteology for the Archeologist Number 3, mammoth magnum, pg. 28.  If you reverse the top left picture, it compares very well with the poster's second picture.

PXL_20240228_124037105~2.jpg

PXL_20240228_124044205~3.jpg

21 hours ago, jpc said:

Based on the two four flat articular surfaces I see in the second photo, this is definitely a mammoth/mastodon wrist/ankle bone.  The hole in the first picture is am erosional product, as is the rough surface that dominates  that same picture.

Thanks JPC

Thanks to all of you for your input. Greatly appreciated! Tom

• Enjoyed 1