Are these lepidophylloides or a cordaites leaves

ntloux

I have some fossil grass-like leaves from a specimen that was associated with other Pennsylvanian fossils collected from  near Middlesboro, Kentucky.  The specimen is somewhat problematic for display purposes because it has a very nice mesocalamite fossil on the opposite side.  The 1st and 2nd images are of the leaflike fossils with a closeup.  The white spots are apparently where reactive iron sulfides have been exposed to atmospheric humidity and were oxidized to some type of iron sulfate.  The grasslike leaves do not appear to have a strong central vein which might suggest that these are cordaites leaves.  The 3rd image is of the very nice mesocalamite fossil on the opposite side.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LepidophylloidespossPennKY.jpg

LepidophylloidespossCloseup2PennKY.jpg

MesocalamitePennKY.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

I think you have a mix. I see a couple of what I think are Cyperites bicarinatus. Bunch of other forest floor debris. Nice specimens. The Calamites is superb.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Beautiful plate! Agree with Mark, the cordaites flat leaves usually have very dense long parallel venations...almost looking like the calamite ribbing from a distance but without the pinching/internodes. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1