Very strange rock

tom999w

Hi everyone, newbie here. I was walking through the woods along a creek in upstate New York and found this rock in the creek.

I've never seen anything like it, so thought I'd show it here and see if anyone can figure out what it is.

It's about 12" high. I'm thinking it may be a rock full of fossils, but I surely don't want to break it open because I don't know what I'm doing, and don't want to destroy it.

I've also searched on the internet for a couple hours and didn't find anything that resembles this

rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Nice specimen, quite unusual also to me. Could be trace fossil, sedimentary structure or tectonic structure - I don´t know!

Or even something man-made, a carving?

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

The other side is just plain rock, just a smooth surface. 

Could be some sort of trace fossil.

Less likely is sedimentary structures. EDIT:  (But still possible.)

What county was this found in?

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This was found in Sullivan County New York, in a very remote part of the woods, in a brook that had eroded the surrounding ground level about 8 feet down below the regular level of the ground surface.

The odds look good that this is a trace fossil. As viewed it would be inverted from the orientation that the shapes were created (hypo relief). 

They look rather like flute casts/sole markings but out of stratigraphic context it's hard to be sure.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Posted (edited)

It looks like something living that was in the process of movement when it was solidified.

Edited by tom999w

15 minutes ago, Carl said:

My gut says this is artificial.

I'm leaning with this.  Someone very handy with an angle grinder? Doesn't hurt my feelings if I'm wrong because I've never seen any kind of fossil that looks like this but have seen plenty of stone carvings. 

• Enjoyed 1

Posted (edited)

But the location I'd found this is so remote. I doubt someone made a pretty sculpture and then carried it two miles from the nearest road to drop it in a creek bed in the woods. There is not even walking paths there. I'm stumped on what it is.. Maybe it's from outer space. 

Edited by tom999w
  • I found this Informative 1

Still in the ichnofossil/sedimentary  structures camp. 

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It has slightly meniscate look to it. I suppose that could be tool chatter, but in that context ? 

My money is on microbial mat/Stromatolite.  They are in many diverse shapes, here are some example pics:  (not my photos)

Trace-fossils-in-microbial-mats-in-Cretaceous-sand-flat-deposits-Dakota-Group-Alameda.png.c05fc87a86b3ea188a4dc23741ab4431.pngs-l1200.webp.d8d36de5276175570f681b9079b0ba15.webp114073-73.thumb.jpg.3fae114f66b0953a370309a1c5227086.jpg

Just a thought.  Either way, neat looking fossil/rock

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

I'm not above considering this to be a piece of nicely polished/eroded (originally) reasonably viscous pillow lava, or an expression of vesicularity in basalt.

Flow direction would then be from the smallest to the broadest part.

There is a SLIGHT geometrical resemblance to Phycodes, so I get where the ichnofossil idea is coming from

Edited by doushantuo

I can even live with turbiditic flutesB)

Given that there seems to be  some variance in the directionality of the shapes, I think it is slightly more probable than my previous explanation,derived form igneous petrology

edit : I think TQB might be on the right track there 

JEFF PEAKALL , JIM BEST , JACO H. BAAS, DAVID M. HODGSON ,MICHAEL A. CLARE , PETER J. TALLING , ROBERT M. DORRELL* and
DAVID R. LEE

Sedimentology (2020) 67, 1601–1666

An integrated process-based model of flutes and tool marks in deep-water environments: Implications for palaeohydraulics,
the Bouma sequence and hybrid event beds

size 19 mB

Sedimentology - 2020 - Peakall - An integrated process‐based model of flutes and tool marks in deep‐water environments .pdf

sed12727-fig-0008-m.jpg

Edited by doushantuo
  • I found this Informative 2

Very interesting. Thanks everyone very much for the replies. 

19 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I can even live with turbiditic flutesB)

Given that there seems to be  some variance in the directionality of the shapes, I think it is slightly more probable than my previous explanation,derived form igneous petrology

edit : I think TQB might be on the right track there 

JEFF PEAKALL , JIM BEST , JACO H. BAAS, DAVID M. HODGSON ,MICHAEL A. CLARE , PETER J. TALLING , ROBERT M. DORRELL* and
DAVID R. LEE

Sedimentology (2020) 67, 1601–1666

An integrated process-based model of flutes and tool marks in deep-water environments: Implications for palaeohydraulics,
the Bouma sequence and hybrid event beds

size 19 mB

Sedimentology - 2020 - Peakall - An integrated process‐based model of flutes and tool marks in deep‐water environments .pdf 19 MB · 0 downloads

sed12727-fig-0008-m.jpg

I think you've hit the nail on this one :thumbsu:

• I Agree 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Ok, Thanks everyone for the information. I left it in the woods where I found it. Maybe someone will stumble upon it in the next thousand years and like to look at it too. 

• Enjoyed 1