Need help identifying

Jbm1978

Hello, I found this yesterday on the beach at Lake Erie in Pa. I was wondering if anyone might know what it is. It’s worn smooth from the crashing waves as it was partially  in the lake water. The brown part seems to have a fine porous to it and it is definitely something separate from the gray stone surrounding it. Thank you for any help. 

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

This does not look like a fossil to me.
Looks more geologic - like a clast with adhering matrix still attached to it.

Wait for some other opinions, though.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Might be chert in limestone. See if the white and brown areas fizz in acid.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I’m adding some more close up pictures to see if this helps.

IMG_0751.thumb.jpeg.f2912b9a1441360b3c22ac7eee344718.jpegIMG_0751.thumb.jpeg.f2912b9a1441360b3c22ac7eee344718.jpegIMG_0751.thumb.jpeg.f2912b9a1441360b3c22ac7eee344718.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

See how hard each type of rock is. Metal knife blade should not scratch the brown area if it is chert. White area, if limestone, should scratch; it also should fizz in acid. Let us know what the results of the tests are.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Posted (edited)

Knife scratches both brown and gray. I don’t have acid unless there is a common household thing to use.

Edited by Jbm1978

Vinegar would be the acid to use to determine if it is limestone.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Posted (edited)

I tried the vinegar and the gray rock bubbles. The weird thing was when I washed the vinegar off the rock the brown part bubbled from water seeping into it. I was also mistaken the knife didn’t scratch the brown part it just left a mark not an actual scratch. 

Edited by Jbm1978

You have a piece of limestone where silica partially replaced part of the limestone thus creating the chert nodules. They are very common.

28 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You have a piece of limestone where silica partially replaced part of the limestone thus creating the chert nodules. They are very common.

Yeah I’m thinking it’s radiolarite. 

21 hours ago, Jbm1978 said:

Yeah I’m thinking it’s radiolarite. 

Unless you can see radiolarians in the silica, that may be attributing a little more precision to the identification than the rock warrants.  Limestone and chert together do not necessarily mean radiolarite.

https://geologyscience.com/rocks/sedimentary-rocks/non-clastic-sedimentary-rock/radiolarite/?amp

• I Agree 1