Anthropocene. Yes or no? The ongoing story.

Ludwigia

thanks for sharing

but, lets wait a million years, I am sure the anthropocene epoch will become part of the history

• I Agree 1

Call it whatever you like....the inhabitants for which it was named, are really making a mess of this precious planet.

No wonder the gazillionaires are all scrambling to outer space....where they will no doubt, screw that up as well! ufo-smiley.gif?1292867693

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

When should the anthropocene start? We've been driving extinctions for tens of thousands of years.

Edited by JBkansas

Is it extinctions, or is it sedimentary deposits that feature human-created debris

Maybe like the C/Pg boundary: A not very conspicuous, thin layer as boundary bed (with plastic debris etc.), accompanied by mass extinction?

Franz Bernhard

Maybe we are the Silurians...

The stratigraphic horizon would be quite dramatic in places. Think of Pompeii & Herculaneum, but with modern structures and materials. These would be preserved in depositional environments mostly, if not only (e.g. New Orleans).

Context is critical.

On 3/8/2024 at 1:30 AM, Missourian said:

The stratigraphic horizon would be quite dramatic in places.

Like some spots the C/Pg-boundary. Thanis site, for example (anything new about Thanis?).

Yes, there would be probably more "fossil rich spots" in the Anthropocene as at the C/Pg.

Franz Bernhard