Bathornis Species?

MegaceropsAreCool

It is a Toe Bone found in the Brule Formation Custer County, South Dakota. It’s dated to be from 35-30 million years old. The Bone is small, only 1.6 centimeters. I’m not sure what species it is, if anyone possibly knows or know a species it can’t be it would help a lot.

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_1345.jpeg

IMG_1344.jpeg

IMG_1343.jpeg

IMG_1342.jpeg

why do you call it Bathornis?  It looks like an oreodont or a camel  toe bone from here.  

Bathornis is a bird and is extremely rare.  

Edited by jpc
  • I Agree 1

it’s definitely not camel or oredont, it would have to be much bigger

Actually it wouldn't. Some oreodonts are small. But that very much resembles oreodont toe bone to me. And at 1.6 cm would be about right for a medium to sm oreodont.

• I Agree 1

I’m looking through an osteology book, and i also got this reference for cariama just to show this is a bird

IMG_1348.jpeg

It would be nice to see the side view of both the cariama and some mammal toe bones to really compare.  Somewhere here I have a nice camel foot that when I find a minute I can try to fond and photograph it.  But right now I am stalling form doing my taxes....

I can look for some more references

I have a friend that knows an Osteologist I can ask him

4 hours ago, jpc said:

It would be nice to see the side view of both the cariama and some mammal toe bones to really compare.

Ask and you shall recieve. Here is a full sized culbertsonia oreodont toe bone I’m still cleaning up from a bone block with skull i been working on. It’s 1.9 cm long. I’ve got culbertsonia skulls that are a quarter the size of the animal this bone belonged to. Sespia natida and leptauchenia oreodonts are even smaller then that… i dont have a picture or sample to hand at the minute but the sespia, leptauchenia, and some of the smaller oreodonts the bone has a similar shape but is thinner and more gracile I suppose the word would be… I need to find it but I’ve got one that looks very similar to that one.

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

Edited by Randyw

Found it! This is an oreodont toe also. It’s 1.7 cm long. I prepped this out of a block with some oreodont rib and spine pieces

IMG_0803.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

Edited by Randyw

can you describe the texture like what it feels like

also how tall is the toe bone (height)

texture?  texture is irrelevant.  or is it...?

on Randy's first toe picture, see that notch on the extreme right edge?  I don't think birds (or dinosaurs) have that.  Yours has it too.  Mammal. 

• I Agree 1