Fossil identification help, 3 specimens, unknown locales, possibly geological

Agateyes

Hello all,

I am reaching out today in hopes of receiving some help identifying a few pieces from a recently inherited collection.  Unfortunately, I don’t have much information as far as location.  I’m pretty sure two of them are fossils, the third may be geological or a combination.

The first piece is small, weighing 34 grams and measuring approximately 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/8”, it reminds me of a cowry/capraea shell.

The second piece is faced, it weighs 669 grams and it measures approximately 3 5/8 x 3 1/2 x 1 1/2”, it’s black, tan, white.

The third piece is potentially geological, I’m not sure.  The pieces weighs 865 grams and measures approximately 5 x 4 x 3 1/2”, it looked to me like a potential dinosaur egg nest but I’m unsure.  

I appreciate any information and I thank you in advance for your time,

Regards,

Mike

IMG_3873.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3869.jpeg

IMG_3870.jpeg

IMG_3867.jpeg

IMG_3868.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

IMG_3911.jpeg

IMG_3910.jpeg

IMG_3915.jpeg

IMG_3916.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_3902.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_3876.jpeg

IMG_3877.jpeg

IMG_3878.jpeg

IMG_3879.jpeg

IMG_3880.jpeg

IMG_3881.jpeg

IMG_3882.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3895.jpeg

IMG_3894.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

IMG_3893.jpeg

IMG_3892.jpeg

First one looks like a vertebra, but someone else will have to ID it for you.  Last one looks geological...not eggs.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Fin lover,

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it.  I figured the last one was geological but I’m no expert.

The vertebra seems to be Alligator or some similar reptile. One end is convex and the other concave.

• I Agree 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The 2nd black specimen appears to be a cobble sized piece of fossilized wood. Seems to show some traces of insect borings--rounded to irregular tubular shapes in the lighter brown/gray areas. Cool specimen! 

Regards, Chris  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

That last piece certainly does look interesting. It appears to me to be some type of geological/mineralogical formation rather than a fossil. Speleothem comes to mind,  but I'm not at all sure what it might be or how it was formed. Perhaps you could show it to an experienced geologist/mineralogist at your local museum if no one else here has an idea.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Good evening,

Thank you all for your information, it’s greatly appreciated.  I did think the second piece was petrified wood but I didn’t know what the fossil looking aspect on the side was, that’s very interesting.  I am having a gentleman stop over next week to look at our items, we probably have 5000+ pounds of random fossils, petrified wood, mineral specimens, slabs and rough material, it’s been quite the task identifying them.  I am working on my second bachelor degree currently online through UF for geology, unfortunately, I’m not into anything course wise yet that would help in this process.  I appreciate the comments and thanks again,

Regards,

Mike

I am going to say croc vert on the first one.  I have seen that bluish tint on a lot of croc verts from different Eocene formations in southwestern Wyoming.

Did the person you got these form ever spend time in the thar part of the USA?  The other two could also be from that area... on a large scale map.  

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 1

Ah, I see.  Yes they did, my grandfather lived out west for a decade and was an avid rockhound.  I asked my grandmother but she just shrugged and said, “they all look like rocks”.  It’s so fascinating to me the things we can find in nature.