Newbie impulse purchase.

Made an impulse buy, and need a critique to use as a learning experience. 
I believe these fossils are real (prob from Morocco), but I believe they have been placed in an unknown matrix for display. The seller said she believed they were probably excavated this way then material removed for better viewing. 
I’m asking for any info to expand my knowledge. 

IMG_2078.thumb.jpeg.5b9641acadc5090fa955137266018cdc.jpegIMG_2080.thumb.jpeg.9c151ef7b50484decdf9f9c4167ac7b3.jpegIMG_2079.thumb.jpeg.3a0936cc66cff7e760ee55ae97db8716.jpeg

Looks to be an "assembly" of different items quite literally. Not original matrix.  They all look real though the teeth in the second picture may likely not belong to that piece of bone. SAme with the tooth in the top right above the mosasaur. Not sure what the white teeth are.

• I Agree 4

*Frank*

You're rigth. All of them have been placed in that matrix for better display. Crafted fossils are a common thing on the market. Nearly all of these crafted fossils are from moroco. To make them more valuebale, cheap or damaged fossils are repaired or reconstructed whith plaster and then placed in a fake matrix piece. Here you can clearly see the plaster that was used to let the fossils look like If they are complete. It can happen naturally in the form of bone beds, but in this case, its clearly man made.

Screenshot_2024-03-10-23-06-36-529_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Edited by Brevicolis
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Are good signatures really that important ?

How much of the large Mosasaur is real?

I assume the smaller Mosasaur tooth is also attached to the jaw bone with plaster?

BTW: thanks for all your help! 

3 hours ago, Brevicolis said:

To make them more valuebale, cheap or damaged fossils are repaired or reconstructed whith plaster and then placed in a fake matrix piece.

How much of the large Mosasaur is real?

I assume the smaller Mosasaur tooth is also attached to the jaw bone with plaster?

BTW: thanks for all your help!

3 hours ago, Dockster said:

smaller Mosasaur tooth is also attached to the jaw bone with plaster?

Yes,  youre rigth. The large tooth is real, but the root looks critical. Im not sure that the root is a root, looks more like a random bone that was ground into this form. Same goes for the big mosasaur jaw. The teeth and the bone are real, but they're hold together whith plaster. In this case, the bone is a real jaw bone.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Im pretty much with same thoughts than others. Asembled fossils in fake matrix.

But I would like to see closer picture of the larger jaw section.

I marked suspicious areas with red, blue one is ok Enchodus tooth.

Take a notice how sandy/grainy look these areas have. Top right root looks very porous (generally root structures move along with tooth, not to the side).

Screenshot_20240311-075943_Chrome.jpg

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

Example of real Mosasaur tooth with root.

Notice: No grainy neck, striations moving to same direction than crown, not sideways.20240311_082835.thumb.jpg.5ff9b0f4bfa9d2a9f0b2686d6dbbc1c4.jpg

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Hello,

Since this topic is mostly about identifying what parts may be fake or reconstructed rather than the identification of the item, I've moved it to the "Is It Real" section of the forum dedicated to those types of questions.

--Brandy

• Thank You 2

9 hours ago, North said:

Thanks Awesome info. 
I will post a closer pic of the jaw tonight. 

Are the two smaller white teeth plastered to the jaw also Enchodus?

34 minutes ago, Dockster said:

Are the two smaller white teeth plastered to the jaw also Enchodus?

Yes, they are Enchodus.

15 hours ago, North said:
15 hours ago, North said:

IMG_2084.thumb.jpeg.4004a8ff9a345cffe4b2edbd54e65b77.jpeg

Ok, so I’ll try to apply what I’ve learned on my first fossil purchase. 

Real Mosasaur tooth plastered to a real bone not of Mosasaur origin. Grainy white layer between tooth and fake root is plaster. 

IMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.29a77f4eb28e945e7ddb202b146ab587.jpegIMG_2081.thumb.jpeg.2c9db2e7d83cb525af66d47a21525de8.jpeg

• I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Dockster said:

Ok, so I’ll try to apply what I’ve learned on my first fossil purchase. 

Real Mosasaur tooth plastered to a real bone not of Mosasaur origin. Grainy white layer between tooth and fake root is plaster. 

The bone could be mosasaur (or just about anything else). It does not appear to be original.

8 hours ago, Dockster said:

IMG_2084.thumb.jpeg.4004a8ff9a345cffe4b2edbd54e65b77.jpeg

As Brevicolis mentioned. Real fossil bone and crown, but connection is plaster.

Jaw could potentially be from Mosasaur, but unlikely same than owner of the crown.

8 hours ago, Dockster said:

IMG_2081.thumb.jpeg.2c9db2e7d83cb525af66d47a21525de8.jpeg

You are correct. Real crown. Blaster neck. Im not certain with origin of the root, but it is quite weird looking.

Need some good advice on how to use Uv (black light) to determine repairs and fakes. 

Is there a certain wavelength needed?

I’m thinking this Trilobite is mold. It’s pretty lite. 
Is the color correct. 
let me know what you think. 

IMG_2090.thumb.jpeg.f00c0dc9036f6051c903a4376a9bf5fe.jpegIMG_2091.thumb.jpeg.9b4e6bd63dd9bfdf654ba9e4424f0f74.jpegIMG_2092.thumb.jpeg.ddd64b68c462d16d710d9fbeedee8ffa.jpegIMG_2093.thumb.jpeg.7879caf8588b6b40cd59dab3fd655e34.jpegIMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.6e55022b35290d3b05db473189eb202c.jpeg

Almost certainly a mold or a complete fabrication.  There is no way they would leave a complete specimen crudely covered in matrix.  If real, it would sell for 10x (or more) in value with a proper prep job.  At the very best, this is a poorly preserved specimen(s) glued together.  That rough, glued area between the head and body is a clear sign of fabrication from sand and glue/plaster.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

This is a genuine cephalon crudely attached to a genuine thorax and pygidium with sand and glue.

It is a common way of selling incomplete or partial specimens.   

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png