Hello & Tooth ID

FLBeachcomber

Hello, I’m looking for help identifying this tooth. We were shark tooth hunting in Florida and found this in the dry sand. It was in an area between a bay and the ocean. It is about 0.75” in length. Any thoughts? 

IMG_3074.jpeg

Edited by FLBeachcomber

Welcome to the Forum :yay-smiley-1:

Can you try to take more pictures of it ? Im not sure it is even a tooth, and If it is one, it would be very hard to identify it because its so erodet.

Are good signatures really that important ?

Topic moved to FOSSIL ID

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Barracuda

Barracuda, Fossil, Natural, Collectible, Specimen, Teeth

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

44 minutes ago, FLBeachcomber said:

IMG_3077.jpeg

This doesn't look like a tooth to me.  

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Thank you for all of your input. For those who said it doesn’t look like a tooth…any other ideas? It’s shaped and feels like a tooth.  Definitely not a shell. Maybe a bone of some sort? I do think it looks like the barracuda tooth shape as suggesteed.

It's possible that it's an extremely worn barracuda tooth but, based on my finds, I would expect to see some things that I don't see.

Here is a picture of the ends of a few barracuda teeth that allow you to see the shape better.  While I do have one shaped a little differently (more like a teardrop...rounded on one edge), I would look for at least one sharp or "pinched' edge...these have two each.  

Screenshot_20240311-1538342.png.2408994c5ed6389075ccbb10e8c88c43.png

I would expect a thin layer of enamel on the outside and a different material on the inside, which I don't see on yours.  Many of mine, like one of Shellseeker's above, also have fine striations.  

Perhaps I just have never seen one this worn.  I don't have any ideas for what else it could be.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

9 hours ago, FLBeachcomber said:

Thank you for all of your input. For those who said it doesn’t look like a tooth…any other ideas? It’s shaped and feels like a tooth.  Definitely not a shell. Maybe a bone of some sort? I do think it looks like the barracuda tooth shape as suggesteed.

The size and Shape are mostly consistent with Barracuda. I also know of no other fauna that this shape would imply.  The "texture"  is not what we would expect ..  Your likely path is , using Barracuda as a premise, search the internet for the hundreds or thousands of photos of Barracuda teeth.  You will become an expert on Barracuda teeth and realize that certainty is only a possibility for some identifications. I fit this as "best guess" between polished rock and agatized Barracuda tooth.. well worn.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"